What kind of leash do you use? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

I hate nylon leads - never used one for my horses either....for training, I use a braided or flat leather about 4 foot or a 7 foot and let it drag...when I do an AKC obedience class, I used to use a nice braided lead 3 - 4 foot - I have flat braid, round braid and plain old flat leather....then at a show, I bought a fancy horsehair lead and slip collar that match...I would not use them for everyday walking or training as they are very thin and I would be afraid to damage them....and they were PRICY!!!! But appealing to a horseperson

A nice narrow leather leash is probably your best bet for the showring.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post
I've been in many classes where a 6ft leash was 'required' and I brought my 4ft. It never once stopped me from completing an exercise. I have no need for that much 'spare leash'.
Yepyep, same here.

I actually didn't even know that you needed a 6' leash per the AKC regs because (a) we don't compete in AKC; and (b) it's never once been brought up in any of the (AKC-oriented) classes we've taken.

ha! learned something new today, thanks.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 PM

I have two leashes for Obedience: a 3' braided leather and a 6' thin leather. I competed my first two CD legs with the 3' and my final with the 6' with no problem.

SG2 CAC Discoe vom haus Huro, BH, AD, CD, TDI, CGC-A, CGC, HOT, OFA-Excellent, CERF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP Reba von Treue Freundschaft, CGC, TDI
May 11, 2005 - May 23, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Elite Member

Dont compete in OB or Rally, but I use an A.S.A.T 6 ft leash - like leather, but I like it better. Not pricey at all, and so far, holds up well. Easy to hold...I got the 1/2 in one.

ASAT Lead 6 L-Elite K-9

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Master Member

1 nylon 6' (very cute, very old, purchased in Virginia Beach in 1997)
1 leather 6'
1 leather 27" (custom made just for me)
1 rubber 3' without handle, for training

:-)

Hélène
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

I don't compete, but I don't like using any leash for any purpose unless it's leather. I agree with others that Nylon rips up your hands.

DogSupplies.com sells 6' flat leather leads for 12.89 plus shipping, and they have 20% off coupons from time to time if you get on their email list. (If you prefer the "twist" style they're 19.98). They are basic, but they work just fine and get softer the more you use them. They also last for years and years (unless a puppy chews on them!).
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Knighted Member

This is my favorite leash ever! Butter soft leather and second hidden handle if you're ever in need of a shorter leash... Works great for my leash reactive pup.

Shop - Dog Sports EquipmentDog Sports Equipment

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Elite Member

Man, it is so weird to me that people have problems with nylon leashes. I actually have never been able to get a good grip on leather. It could just be that I'm doing it wrong, but it has never worked for me, and I've tried a bunch of different ones at vendor booths, so I'm pretty sure the issue is with me and not the leashes.

The mysteries of life.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Elite Member

Well, it's not like nylon leashes have ripped my palm skin off or anything, but it does slide through my hand so even if I started out a foot from the handle by the end of a heel (if I have to use a correction or something) I find myself sliding off! Plus holding four nylon leashes on a walk just feels icky. Im too young for arthritis but my knuckles hurt for some reason with nylon. Four well-broken leather leashes doesn't leave my hand sore afterwards. I have sensitive totally non-manly artist hands, though! Lol

Of course nylon is tops for dock diving/beach-going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 PM
AXO

For Training I use a Nylon 6'x1" lead and a 4' Leather Braided lead. I also use a Nylon 15'x1" tracking lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page