Bored with Rally - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Bored with Rally

WD loves agility, nosework and all the games we play but I can't get him excited about Rally and I finally dropped the class. He needs activity and brain work. How is that for your GSDs? (he is from working lines)

Last edited by wolfy dog; 04-27-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Crowned Member

Rally could be renamed Obstacle Heeling. Heeling can be boring, or it can be fun. It is up to you. Your dog is bored with it, or you are bored with it. Some classes move at different paces. I can always make a class interesting for my dogs, and use the time wisely.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes, they should rename it. Rally has the association with a lot of activity.
I couldn't think of a more boring dog "sport". But that is just WD's and my opinion.
I am curious if there are members here whose dogs do enjoy it and if so, how are the classes organized?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

I love rally. But then, I am an old lady with bad knees and more weight than is healthy. I find it more fun than obedience because it changes up so much where obedience is very predictable.

I really like it after we get rid of the leashes and do jumps, and offset figure eights, though I never did the three-step back properly yet.

If I take my girls out for something, I will often do some rally exercises just for the fun of it, 360s, 270s, come fronts, finishes, drops, and I like to mix everything up. 270 into a sit into a 360 and then a stop sit, 90 rit sit, 90 left, sit. And so forth.

How are the classes broken up?

Currently I only work in the summer outside now at my trainer's house. They start up again in the first week of May. I am signed up for three classes. Yay!

Usually for the Advanced Obedience/Rally class we start all together going over a couple of signs, and listening to some other commands, and then we break over to the lawn chairs where we gas and watch whoever is up first.

Then we all go through a Rally course, usually twice each, and some of us might go a third time, but I find that twice with the dog is fine. We usually leave our dogs tethered to the fence to do the walk through.

After the Rally portion, the field is cleaned, and usually we will practice some obedience, sits and downs, or stand for exam before putting the dogs in their vehicles.

Then we congregate for refreshments and more talking inside or on the porch.

Classes are fun, and many of us have shown and gotten titles as well, and are still there going through the classes with our dogs. Me, because I always have a youngster that needs training, others because they and their dogs enjoy it.

I have titled a couple of dogs in Obedience and I have trouble hearing so it is becoming less of a possibility for me.

I haven't titled anyone in agility yet, but I trained Joy and Jenna on the different obstacles. I don't see my self persuing it in competition because I like ribbons, and GSDs are really not built for agility competitions, and if they aren't I am even a worse example of an agility handler. I will do it to build confidence and to have fun with a dog, but not for titles.

Of the three, I prefer Rally.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon

Last edited by selzer; 04-27-2013 at 06:28 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Jag and I are working on our RAE this summer while we train for Utility and agility. I love the advanced classes, if I take the time to read the signs! Jag is fabulous, and we often place and sometimes even win the class. I don't take a class, we just set up a course at my obedience school once a week. Like selzer I often incorporate the rally skills into my obedience training. We used to call it doodling.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I prefer Urban Rally where we can be active instead of waiting for others to do their thing. No disrespect here, just that the class moves too slow. There is only so much you can improvise in between things inside a building.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

cant say i was a big fan of rally either. too many signs
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

I do stationary exercise if we are waiting in a line to do something. And, sometimes, yes, I have to wait for my turn. But everyone else has to too, so I don't feel bad about it. When I am taking one of the girls through class, that is my alone time with that girl. So I make the most of it, whether we are waiting for our turn, or doing our stuff. We're never bored. Bored is something that is kind of, well, it's completely on the bored person. Ya know when some brat comes up and says, "I'm bored" and the astute parent says, "Good, time for you to learn how to wash the kitchen floor." I bet the kid doesn't say that again any time soon.

Even a crappy class with a crappy instructor I can benefit from. I just have to read it properly. I don't disturb the others, but I can benefit from any time I am out there alone with one of mine.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Knighted Member

I loved our Rally classes - until my trainer moved 8 hours away. Now I train alone or if a friend wants to join me. I can either set up a course or just parts of a course to practice. I've had a hard time moving to Advanced because I don't have enough dogs around that I know to practice off lead in a field. When I need to distract Raina from something that might be coming down the road (loose dogs etc) I go into Rally training mode and have her do 360's or 270's and weave between parking lot wheel stops. It works well to keep her mind busy instead of worrying about the stray dog. I like it better than regular obedience because there is more fun to it and training is a more positive experience when you can give treats and praise. We like to have fun while training.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Crowned Member

yeah, I don't know if the problem is actually rally or if you just don't like the class that you are in. Other than learning the signs and what exactly is wanted in each exercise, I can't think of anything in Rally that isn't covered (or a variation of) a regular basic obedience class. In Novice, anyway.
Advanced involves sending the dog over jumps, which you might need a bit of help with the training.

I guess, to me, it sounds like the class itself is just moving too slowly for you? If the trainer isn't sit up for the other people to have a place to work on other things with their dogs, it would be very boring. You can try doing some focus work while you are waiting your turn - watch me, hand targets, etc For me, though, unless the person is WAY below me in skill level I can usually learn something from their run-through. Even if it's just what NOT to do. However, if they were moving really slowly and there was a lot of time spent by the trainer showing them what to do or something, then it would be boring. Find an out of the way corner and work with your dog on something else. It all comes down to what you can get out of the class.
Especially pay attention to the dogs that are in a higher level than you. Practice some of the things that they are working on, a moving down, back up, side-step right, etc. Watch how the trainer wants them to perform the exercises and how they teach the dog. In our class, we have always mixed it up from the beginning. All of the dogs knew basic obedience when we started so, we used signs from all 3 levels. If the dog didn't know the basics (ie - sign was a moving down and the dog was just learning to down), then the owner performed the sign at their dog's skill level. If the course had jumps and your dog wasn't ready for that, just skip the exercise.
The point of this was that, when your dog titled in Novice you already had a head start on Advanced. Maybe my training group is a bit ADD but we prefer to not start over at the beginning with every title. A HUGE plus is that if you finish your title at the beginning of a weekend trial, you are prepared to move into the new class the next day. It always seems a waste of money when someone enters all 3 days of a show, gets the final leg of their Novice title the first afternoon, and then pulls the final 2 days because they don't know any of the Advanced exercises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page