Novice A or B -Rally - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Novice A or B -Rally

Hello everyone, I know this is a very simple question, but somehow I have been unable to find the answer despite looking online for the last hour.

Does a title of CGC count as an Obedience title as far as entering Rally-A is concerned? I have heard conflicting answers lately and as we get closer to entering our first trials I obviously need to figure this out before we sign up for anything.

We are halfway through an 8 week Rally novice course and Maya is doing AMAZING considering I only introduced competitive heeling to her a week before classes started. I think getting focus in a new environment is going to be the hardest for us when we start competing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Crowned Member

you can call the AKC to be sure but I have not heard of it making a difference. Much like having a Rally title doesn't affect entering Novice A obedience.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Master Member

I know CKC rules but I imagine it is the same. CGC is simply a temperament test and has nothing to do with obedience titles. Novice A is for anyone who has not titled a dog to it's obedience championship, Novice B is for those who have titled dogs to their obedience championship and for obedience instructors. So you would enter Novice A. At least that's how it is in Canada.

Eli GSD - RN RA RE RAE SD-S SCRB1 HIC CGN TEC
Riot GSD - RN RA RE SD-S SD-A HIC CGN
Cajun GSD - Evie All Canadian - Sweetie APBT - Logan ACD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Master Member

No, a CGC is not an obedience title, so if you have never put an obedience or rally title on any dog you can show in Rally Novice A.

And unlike Canada, only your first dog is shown in Novice A. Novice A (both obedience and rally) is for first timers only.

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone.

I figured this was the case, but a lot of people refer to CGC as an obedience title (which is REALLY isn't) so I wanted to make sure.

We are working on our RN and CD right now, but Rally trials are going to come first I think, so we will sign up for the A class.

Does anyone have any general advice for first timers? We know all of our novice signs really well and the only thing I REALLY need to work on is not making stupid handler errors like moving my feet improperly.

Thanks!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelia View Post
I know CKC rules but I imagine it is the same. CGC is simply a temperament test and has nothing to do with obedience titles. Novice A is for anyone who has not titled a dog to it's obedience championship, Novice B is for those who have titled dogs to their obedience championship and for obedience instructors. So you would enter Novice A. At least that's how it is in Canada.
The Novice B class is also for dogs that have an equivilant or higher title from another country. My dog with an AKC UD showed in Novice B in Canada even tho I had never shown in Canada before.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Elite Member

Have a hungry, fresh dog. Walk briskly to keep your dog engaged, but take your time and make sure to do the signs correctly. Dont freeze and forget that you can encourage your dog. Have fun!

Max Von Zahnderhaus -CGC- DOB 2/14/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tim the Collie- RN -DOB 4/01/2010
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

Get there early. Bring a light folding chair, her crate if allowed. Give her plenty of opportunity to potty in an appropriate spot. I do not give them a ton of water before going into the ring if we are showing outside. Inside is less of a problem as they are house trained.

If it is a warm day, bring her dish and water from home.

Enjoy watching the other classes. (It's ok to think "We can do that")

If you are there alone, Crate your dog either near the ring, or park near enough to the ring to crate her during the walk through.

If you have a buddy, bring them along and have them hold her while you do the walk through. Do the walk through until they kick you out of the ring. Ok, just keep going until the judge says that they will be starting, three times minimum. You should have 10 minutes for the walk-through, so you should get through it 3 times easy.

Ask the judge if you have a question. They can't really teach you how to do the signs, but they will tell you what they prefer. The judges in AKC Rally are all really nice for the most part. They are there to help you, not to NQ you.

If you are using a prong or a halti or a harness, remove it before you enter the grounds. They are not allowed on the dog at the show.

If your collar has tags on it, remove it. I use a special light leather martingale and leash for showing. Collars with license and rabies tags are nice, but they cannot dangle from your dog. So unless yours are screwed onto the collar itself, use a different collar for ring-time.

Be more concerned with getting the signs right than how fast you are going. The dog will probably do a little better if you are going at a good clip, but it is more important to not miss anything than time. Time is only considered in the event of a tie.

Praise your dog and have fun. This isn't the end of the world no matter what happens. You will probably be better prepared with a better trained dog than a lot of people there. Try not to over-think anything.

I NQ'd on my first try because I blew by a sign. I was not the only one to NQ and I did great with the second dog that was showing, but I was nervous and flustered, and the judge told me I couldn't have tags on the dog's collar so I had to run back to the car and get another collar, and while I was going through the ring with the one, I was thinking how I would have to do that with the other as well, and I blew by a sign. That probably wouldn't have happened if I did the walk through more than once, but I was the first person to do a run.

Again, have fun. Praise your dog. Rally is great, and there are a lot of fun people doing Rally.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

A lot of great advice.
It seems like the last two weeks of class my puppy (and most of the dogs in our class) are very very distracted, so I suppose that's what we will need to work on the most right now.
At home, the park or even the dog park she will do all of the rally commands perfectly and quickly with amazing focus! but we get to class and she just zones out. She is very stubborn (and vocal) when she decides she isn't interested in something.. so I need to figure out a way to motivate her to do my crazy human tricks even when she isn't into it and I can't use treats or toys..

Then again I may just be expecting too much too soon? Our instructor and classmates keep going on and on about her AMAZING focus, but I just see a distracted puppy. Of course my instructor also didn't notice two weeks ago when my puppy spent the ENTIRE first run with my jacket sleeve in her mouth *sigh* so maybe they just aren't paying attention?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

How old is Maya?

Sometimes if the dog seems stubborn or distracted, it can be that she needs a bit of a respit, and other times it is because they are bored. Depending on the dog, you can be getting the same symptoms from opposite problems. How to motivate her to work in class may be to back down a bit on formal training on other days of the week. But then, depending on her age, she could be coming into season if she is intact. And she could be going through a teenager phase. I usually take a few steps back, and start and stop all training sessions on a positive note.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page