Went to my first AKC show today. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Went to my first AKC show today.

Today I went to a GSD specialty AKC show. It was a great experience. A few of my SDA and schH friends were working on some obedience titles so we went to watch and check it out. I was disgusted by some things I saw and impressed with others. The "show" ring is definately not a place for me. I did not like any of the dogs I saw in there today. Some of the people seemed a bit more snobish than I'm used to and the talking behind of backs was... I expected some of that. After all it's competition and dealing with animals. Every venue has some of that nonsense going on. The obedience titles seemed like a lot of fun and not what I expected. I had a great time watching that. The upper titles did not seem easy. I think it may be one more venue for the dogs my GF and I to compete in. SchH, SDA and AKC? Sounds good to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Crowned Member

And when the specialty American Show line people see working line dogs or German show line dogs, they do not like them either.

It would be nice if all the lines could enjoy a sport without finding it necessary to knock the dogs that are not like their own, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Obedience and Rally are a lot of fun, but you can get some over-serious, snobby people there too. For some it is competition, and for others, it is a good time with the dog. Neither type quite understands the other, and it can be quite exasperating.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I wasn't trying to "knock" anyone. Well except for those that had dogs that could barely walk. The ones that were falling down every three steps(not all the show ring dogs were like this, just a few). I will knock those people all day. I wanted to walk up and punch a few in the face. The rest was fine. Again the show ring is not for me but to each is own. Yes we got lots of snarkyness with our WL's but that's fine. Even the SL we had got comments. Like you said though, she is a WGSL that is titled in IPO, SDA and was working on her UDX at this show. All I know is I just like to play with dogs and participate in as many different venues as I can. Gives me a reason to get out and train. I keep from getting bored that way. I am suprised how much I enjoyed the obedience stuff. I always thought I would be a protection sport only person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page