Obedience Trials Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Obedience Trials Questions

Okay, so I feel like a bloody moron. I met up with the trainer from PetCo today who we are doing our CGC through. She is a wonderful woman who trains/shows/breeds Rotties. When I told her I was interested in not only CGC, but maybe a few other working/obedience titles, she got very excited.

Long story short, she's willing to work with me outside of the CGC classes on preparing for them, but she asked me what I wanted to do. When I told her I had no clue, she said to research the trials I wanted to work on and then go from there.

So, I'm opening the floor to suggestions. I would like Finn to be able to have the UDX after his name, but I am really liking the TDU and other tracking competitions.

He is definately more comfortable when it comes to tracking/trailing, but I'm sure that he would be fine in Obedience.

Finn just turned 4. If he is as lucky as his parents, they didn't start slowing down until around 8 or 9. I've already made a personal promise to Finn that I'd 'retire' him at 8 as long as we aren't dealing with any joint issues before then.

As I said, any and all suggestions and advice will be gratefully taken.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM

there's lots of things you could do, Rally is FUN, not alot of stress, kind of gives you an intro into say obedience if you want to go that route.

Tracking is also fun, Nosework classes if you can find them.

I'd start with www.akc.org site, look up what type of competition your interested in and you should find, the regs, the exercises that kind of thing.

I say, definitely take advantage of this womans expertise to help you . And heck you don't have to limit yourself to 'one' thing,,do it all

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I really don't want to do Obedience. I like the idea of being active and I think Finn does as well. When it comes to obedience things like long stays or downs, he's just not as responsive as he is when it comes to doing figure 8s or anything where he's allowed to move. I'm not going to put him through something he just doesn't seem to like.

I want my dog to have as many titles as yours do.

What is Rally? I've heard about it, but don't know too much about it.

How long did it take you to train for some of your titles? Are there a lot that just flow into the other? The UD reqs seem like they would be a great starting point for TDU or any other Tracking/Trailing events. Besides, Finn is already doing SAR, so I would love to expound on that specific foundation.

What do some of the acronyms mean after your dogs' name?

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Master Member

Hi Shaolin. I happened to read this. I also like Rally. It's the most fun parts of obedience, without the long stays. My dog really enjoys it, and it's great for younger dogs with shorter attention spans.

Here's a video example.

A lot of the titles on Jakoda's dogs are agility, there's a herding title HIT, obedience CD, a temperament test TT, and some ASCA titles.

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Elite Member

Rally is fun! You take the basic obedience skills and do them in a sequence set up by the judge, a course with markers, or cards. Its fun, quick moving, you can talk to and encourage your dog. Its a great starting point to just figure out how dog shows work! Go on you tube.com to look at videos of rally and of course, on the akc website as well.

Max Von Zahnderhaus -CGC- DOB 2/14/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tim the Collie- RN -DOB 4/01/2010
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

Man, I hate rally. It's for people that can't do obedience. It's sort of the joke in the obedience world. If all you want to do is play around with your dog without having to do much real training, then that's the way to go. If you want to have a well trained dog that is reliable every day outside of training, then go for real obedience titles.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Man, I hate rally. It's for people that can't do obedience. It's sort of the joke in the obedience world. If all you want to do is play around with your dog without having to do much real training, then that's the way to go. If you want to have a well trained dog that is reliable every day outside of training, then go for real obedience titles.
Boy, I dont usually take offense, but that statement bothers me. Lots of folks like rally. People can have fun with their dogs and train their dogs in many different ways. If the "obedience world" is making jokes about the "rally world" then they have a problem. People are always at different levels in thier training, depending on their own life circumstances. Maybe they are to arthritic, maybe taking care of a sick elderly family member, busy with work, etc.. dont be so judgemental.
I enjoy Rally, my dog is well trained and reliable outside of everyday training.

To the original poster, do things you enjoy and have fun with your dog. As much as folks would have you believe here on this forum, not everyone has a UDX and IPO title on thier dog.

Max Von Zahnderhaus -CGC- DOB 2/14/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tim the Collie- RN -DOB 4/01/2010
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned

Well here's the run down...you need a CD (novice level) to go onto a CDX (open level) and then a UD (Utility) and then UDX (qualifying in the open level and utility level at 10 shows). Skilled trainers can get a UD on their dog by the age of 3. But they start with their dog from day one with that goal. It gets more difficult to do it when you already have a dog that has some bad habits. Remember those bad habits cost you points in the ring and if you've been kind of lenient with straight sits, close heels, things of that nature it will be a little bit more work to retrain your dog properly.

There is also a new level called BN, I did that with my dog since I didn't know anything about trialing. It was a fun experience and really good for a young dog. He is now a little over 2, just got his CD and we will start trialing for CDX soon. I don't think he'll have his UD by 3, we might get there by 4 and then hopefully a UDX soon after. Remember when it comes to AKC obedience there are some exercises which if they get blown...you don't qualify at all, its not just a loss of points. From the shows I've seen...its a good day if 50% of dogs trialing in open and utility qualify.

Look up some youtube videos of AKC novice obedience, AKC open obedience, and utility as well (although it seems like you know what that one is already). Utility is quite difficult, its a great goal but I would start slow and see what the lower levels are about. There are a lot of dogs at my club that although the owner had dreams of UD, the dog just wasn't cut out for it and all it managed was a CD or maybe a CDX.

Your dog being 4...could definitely still do it, but like I said it will take a lot of work on your part. Many people don't get a UD on their dog in 4-5 years when they start training for competition from day one, much less when they have a grown dog already.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Master Member

My dogs all have Obedience titles, as well as Rally titles. Some dogs don't enjoy the formality of Obedience, and let's be honest: Novice Obedience is B-0-R-I-N-G for a lot of dogs. Echo hates on-leash obedience, but she excels off leash. If she didn't have poor hips I'd be learning agility along with her. There's something for just about any dog and handler team, it's just a matter of finding what makes you both happy.

-LeeAnn
There are two kinds of dogs: Dogs who are German Shepherds, and dogs who WISH they were German Shepherds....

Echo of Someday Vom Royale, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Laughin' Tori Lori, CD, RN, CGC
Marcella's Miss Ruby Dee, RN, CGC, TDI
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Elaine, are you going through a rough time or something?

I have Rally titles and I have obedience titles. I am losing my hearing and for Rally, I don't need to hear. But evenso, I prefer Rally.

The first dog I put through obedience, got a red and two white ribbons on her RN, and three blue ribbons for her CD, with NO EXTRA TRAINING.

So, I just don't agree with you that Rally is a joke.

I do agree that obedience people like you, (see bolded), tend to be snooty towards the Rally people, they make idiotic statements to them at shows, tell them to crate their perfectly behaved dogs, practice in front of the rally rings where dogs are working, rather than in front of their own obedience rings where they don't want to mess up the dogs. Their dogs run out of the rings, and attack dogs on the long sits or downs on occasion. And they say things about how bad the Rally dogs are. If you ask them a question about anything, like where they are in the judge, they look at you like you are a bit of poo on their shoe.

The Rally people are fun and helpful to everyone, they are free with advice, and they, in generally are very accomodating when you need to go first or last so you can get your dog through the obedience ring at the same time. There is some fun competitiveness, but most are happy to get a green ribbon and the other colors are just a bonus.

Obedience is a lot easier in some ways. It is always the same, the judge tells you what you are going to do and you listen for the pattern, but everything is really the same, in the same order. I have heard people who have done obedience for years, have trouble with Rally because it is different every time, and they have to go in order, etc. It is not hard if you do the walk through first, and the more times the better, but there are a lot more possibilities on what you might be facing in each leg. Where obedience will be exactly the same.

ETA: As for having a well-trained dog, all of my rally dogs, after getting their titles at about a year of age, I can do nothing with them for months, even years, Ninja -- no training for three years, and she was perfect when I took her out, her obedience was perfect, good with dogs, perfect at the vet, no problems. That is how they all are when I take them out. And I am not out there training ALL OF THEM, all the time. Training is what you put into it, not what you get for it.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 10-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page