CGC will be a title in 2013 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

CGC will be a title in 2013

I just got this information and I hope this is the right forum to post it in. http://images.akc.org/cgc/new_title.pdf

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Master Member

Interesting! Thanks for sharing

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Yea that is interesting. I still need to get my boy his CGC. He did his Puppy Star one though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

Any dog with a CGC before Jan 2013 will be grandfathered in. AKC will have a form available then to convert the CGC certificate to a title.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
Any dog with a CGC before Jan 2013 will be grandfathered in. AKC will have a form available then to convert the CGC certificate to a title.
I think they will be grandfathered for a fee....$20 I think?

If they are going to make this an actual title, hope they tighten up on the judging, and qualifications to be a judge. I've seen a few Canine not-so-Good Citizens!

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have to agree with you there and they need to have a minimum age of ADULT, because some of the aggression things may not come out in a puppy.

I cannot believe this is going to be a title........sad

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Crowned Member

Well, there is now a therapy dog title so I don't see why not have a CGC title too. I don't think it's a big deal, people know what the CGC entails and a lot of people already use the CGC as a suffix to their dogs' names for unofficial things (I know I do) so making it an official title doesn't really change too much except now you will be able to know which dogs have passed the CGC because I assume it will be listed on official forms and such (where the dogs' name and title are listed.)

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Crowned Member

I think it's silly. It's obviously a money-maker, as there are no differences between them other than you paying the AKC for the title.

The Therapy Dog title I think is a great thing. It signifies a LOT of hard work and time put into the work. Honestly I think that title is more difficult to get than *any* of the Novice titles (obedience, rally, agility).
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

While there is a lot of extra time involved in getting the therapy dog title since you have to log a certain amount of volunteering hours, many of the therapy dog organizations' tests are basically the CGC with a few extra segments or requirements added. So I'm not sure I'd say it was more difficult except in that it does take up more of your time, but if you are doing animal assisted therapy anyway it's not like it takes any extra time/effort. If they had the title available when my previous dog was still around she would have qualified for it, well if I had ever gotten around to sending in the ILP forms that is.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Crowned Member

I'm an AKC CGC evaluator and honestly I'm surprised that it's going to be a title. I think a lot more people will take it now, maybe that's the motivation for the change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page