Two Legs This Weekend - AKC rant lol - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Two Legs This Weekend - AKC rant lol

Rooney got his first two Rally Novice legs this weekend, first place both times with a 98 and 100. Sadly, this is the second time for us going through the Novice level because the first time I went through in Novice A not knowing that his Beginner Novice title in Obedience made a difference in the rally ring. I called the AKC and tried to reason with them, but they wouldn't budge on their rules...

Now I kind of want to send them a letter telling them it made no difference what class he was in, and I hope they choke on the couple extra dollars they get out of me because I have to do it all over again. I would've gladly just entered Rally Advanced B, but no, they wouldn't let me do that. These are the kinds of things the AKC does that keep younger/new people out of the sports, they make 200 page rule books that no one reads and then catch you on technicalities. I was planning on getting an RAE on my boy during his obedience training, but now I'm not going to. Just shows how much they need the money when they won't make an exception like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Knighted Member

Congratulations on getting two legs on the same weekend. I know it's frustrating to have to do over because of rules and I'm not sure I would have known that that title counted toward the Rally rules. So I'm wondering since all the dogs that advance to Rally Advanced have novice titles why doesn't that count? I am currently getting ready for my first trial at advanced. We had a long time between her getting the RN and now so I'm not sure how it's going to go. My trainer moved away and there really aren't any other good ones nearby so I've been doing it by myself but I know being in a class with other dogs would be better for her so I'm in a dilemma - should I pay an instructor that I really don't agree with just so Raina can be around other dogs while training or do I just keep doing what I'm doing inviting other people I know with dogs to come and work the courses I set up myself. Since Raina can be slightly DA with dogs she doesn't know I'm paranoid to try taking her off lead around dogs at a trial and that isn't helping my confidence any either.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Crowned Member

Congratulations, that really sucks about the mixup though

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

It is not so much about the scores or the passing of an individual dogs. It is about having some equality among competitors in the particular ring. If I earned legs in Novice A obedience they would not count because that class is reserved for those who have never put a CD on a dog before. I like it that they reserve the A classes for the less experienced competitor. When trying to figure out the complexities of Rally, I just entered the B classes to be safe. It can be confusing!

Carla and The Pack
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
It is not so much about the scores or the passing of an individual dogs. It is about having some equality among competitors in the particular ring. If I earned legs in Novice A obedience they would not count because that class is reserved for those who have never put a CD on a dog before. I like it that they reserve the A classes for the less experienced competitor. When trying to figure out the complexities of Rally, I just entered the B classes to be safe. It can be confusing!
I understand why they do it, but it clearly didn't make a difference lol. I think most people that do obedience trials will agree that rally is a pretty large step down and its like a sure thing every time I enter the ring. I get what they're saying about obedience having something to do with it but even in the B classes the dogs that have trialed in obedience are head and shoulders above the dogs that haven't. I was just trying to explain to the AKC that I made a mistake and I would be willing to enter all my future trials in the B class, but they wouldn't have it, they just wanted their entry fees for 3 more trials.

I wouldn't really think about it if my dog had scored lower, but he actually got higher scores in the B class than he did when we went through the A class (and they're supposed to be more lenient in the A class). I told the AKC on the phone that it wouldn't matter and he'd breeze through the B class, and I'm kind of happy that I proved myself right.

In my opinion, if they really want to make things equal they shouldn't allow any obedience titled dogs to even do rally, and also no one should be allowed to go for their 2nd + RAE, but they do, because they want the money. My dog has his BN and 2 legs towards his CD and he's way ahead of most of the dogs I see in rally excellent trials, maybe its people sending their dogs in before they are ready, or its just people that go in knowing its almost impossible to NQ in the rally ring (no one in their right mind would enter an obedience trial if they knew their dog had issues with one of the exercises, that would just be a waste of $25).
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, I do understand. Unfortunately, it doesn 't have any thing to do with whether the team can perform the behaviors as required. I can see that they would not entertain any argument in that regard. I can understand no bending of the rules in these particular situations. It is unfortunate when it happens. My obed buddy did the same thing when Rally came out and had to repeat. My conformation friend had to lose her 5 point major win because of entry in the wrong class. No fun!!

Yes, it can be a real advantage in doing Rally if a dog has other obedience titles. But, not neceesarily so. My little dog with only a CD beat many OTCH dogs who were doing Rally in the beginning. Rally has some interesting features that make the competition a bit different from the regular stuff.

Carla and The Pack
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Knighted Member

It didn't make a difference to you, but in the A class when your dog scored 100 maybe you beat a beginning team who scored 99, or scored 100 but was slower.

Congratulations on your win. Those are great scores.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledon View Post
It didn't make a difference to you, but in the A class when your dog scored 100 maybe you beat a beginning team who scored 99, or scored 100 but was slower.

Congratulations on your win. Those are great scores.
Very true, and thanks. I know at least once we came in 2nd and I've never gotten this high of scores in A class...so that's kind of the interesting part too. I know every judge and course is different but it's just interesting to see that comparison. I just think rally and obedience should be completely separate events, and titling in one shouldn't influence your class in the other. I know their original goal was for people to get involved in rally and then move onto obedience, but rally has grown into its own little monster with people doing just rally for years and years with their dogs and getting 5, 6, 7 + RAEs on them. One lady at a show I went to had 40 RAEs on her dog...and not a single obedience title.

Again, I understand why they wouldn't bend the rule for me, just disappointed and venting a little due to the IMO stupidity of the rules.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Crowned Member

There are some "professional" Rally dogs, to be sure!

Carla and The Pack
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Knighted Member

Why would anyone want to get 40 RAE? I really don't understand going beyond 1, well maybe I can. You can become addicted to competing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page