Novice Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Novice Questions

What are the typical exercises that are involved in the novice obedience and rally trials? What exactly do the judges look for? Any information on these two sports would be greatly appreciated.

Kristin's Zach Brown Band "Zach"---- 2 yr old male sable GSD

I love my dogs and my children. My dogs are family and are treated as such; not treated as wild animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Everything is in here:
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!

I love my dogs and my children. My dogs are family and are treated as such; not treated as wild animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Master Member

Once you start it's Fun and addicting!
If you search You tube you can actually see some dogs competing which always helps me when I can see things on top of reading about them.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Banned

For Novice obedience the rules pretty much lay everything out. For rally, there are variations each time, but its basically the same stuff just in a different order. If you've never done an AKC trial, you might want to try Beginner Novice first, as that is a lot easier and you can really learn what the judges "look for" and how they generally score.

Rally is fun, and easy IMO. You can pretty much talk as much as you want to your dog and even if they stray away you can get them back and not disqualify. Obedience is much more strict, and there are exercises where if your dog doesn't do it, you will not qualify. We just had a lady at our club take her older male (9 years) and get him from RA to RE in about 2 months. That would be pretty difficult to do with obedience lol.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
For Novice obedience the rules pretty much lay everything out. For rally, there are variations each time, but its basically the same stuff just in a different order. If you've never done an AKC trial, you might want to try Beginner Novice first, as that is a lot easier and you can really learn what the judges "look for" and how they generally score.

Rally is fun, and easy IMO. You can pretty much talk as much as you want to your dog and even if they stray away you can get them back and not disqualify. Obedience is much more strict, and there are exercises where if your dog doesn't do it, you will not qualify. We just had a lady at our club take her older male (9 years) and get him from RA to RE in about 2 months. That would be pretty difficult to do with obedience lol.
I'm thinking I'm gonna go with Rally lol. It looks like so much fun.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM

I'm doing Rally with my 15 month old girl and we're having a blast! It's really translated into very useful behaviors in everyday life and has bettered our partnership. It's not too hard either and I like that I can talk to my dog as needed to keep her focus. The hardest part for us is when they put a slow forward facing towards the out-gate... Piper does NOT want to walk slowly going that direction! One of the tough things is keeping the pace fast enough to keep her interest but not too fast that we blow past the signs.

Blackthorn's Piper RE, NA, JHD (13 Feb 11)
Blackthorn's Stryder RN (19 May 12)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Elite Member

Our 13 yr old and her 4 month old puppy did a rally workshop this weekend and really enjoyed it People were surprised at how young Nita was and how well she did for their intro.

I'm hoping it's something our daughter is going to want to do with her

~ Dori ~

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed

Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian
Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned

Rally is fun, but when you look into an obedience ring you can really see the difference between the dogs. I'm doing rally for obedience practice and also to rack up some titles, but otherwise my allegiance is with the obedience ring lol. I've just seen too many dogs in the rally ring that aren't even close to obedient and yet they qualify.

Hopefully for you, doing rally will spark an interest in the obedience ring (like it was intended to do), but sadly for many people it spiraled into a different monster that the AKC just collects fees from. Many people would rather accomplish an RAE title than move on to novice obedience after getting an RE, and many people's dogs aren't capable of moving onto obedience after rally due to the huge difference in training style.

I love trialing, but I think because I did obedience first, rally (and some of the crazies that do it) are funny to me. I love dog show politics, I now completely understand where "Best of Show" was coming from.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Rally is fun, but when you look into an obedience ring you can really see the difference between the dogs. I'm doing rally for obedience practice and also to rack up some titles, but otherwise my allegiance is with the obedience ring lol. I've just seen too many dogs in the rally ring that aren't even close to obedient and yet they qualify.

Hopefully for you, doing rally will spark an interest in the obedience ring (like it was intended to do), but sadly for many people it spiraled into a different monster that the AKC just collects fees from. Many people would rather accomplish an RAE title than move on to novice obedience after getting an RE, and many people's dogs aren't capable of moving onto obedience after rally due to the huge difference in training style.

I love trialing, but I think because I did obedience first, rally (and some of the crazies that do it) are funny to me. I love dog show politics, I now completely understand where "Best of Show" was coming from.
I'm still interested in obedience, but it seems like Rally would be a simpler and better starting point for us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page