First Rally Competition coming soon! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

First Rally Competition coming soon!

Woohoo! Just got my armband number in the mail yesterday for Piper and my first Rally competition. We're going Novice A since I've never done this before either... in fact she's my first dog too! I'm super excited and we've been working on our signs over the past few weeks to brush up on things.

Since this is our first trial we're doing it at our home training school but I know the environment will be very different than class days. Any recommendations on helping her deal with the busy-ness of so many dogs around? Any suggestions on anything else for a newbie? I learned early on that I have to keep my adrenaline down around her, so I'll be working hard to not be nervous

Thanks!

Blackthorn's Piper RE, NA, JHD (13 Feb 11)
Blackthorn's Stryder RN (19 May 12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Master Member

Don't do what a lot of people do......drag their dogs around for HOURS before they go in the ring. By the time they get into the ring they have no dog left!

When you first get to the show, leave your dog in the car and bring your crate and chair in. You need the crate so you have some place to leave your dog during the walk-thru! Bring a water dish, a favorite toy, and whatever is part of your normal training day. Find a space and set up, then take a walk around to get the lay of the land. Find your ring, and if they're giving out numbers pick yours up.

Get your dog out of the car, give her a pee break, and take her into the show and take a nice walk around. Not serious training, just a nice walk. Maybe do a couple of puppy pushups. Give her a nice rub down. Come up with some kind of game that you can play with her that doesn't disrupt the other dogs. Put her in her crate and let her chill for a while. If she's not used to being crated at class, sit in your chair for a while so she doesn't worry that you're leaving her. But DO walk away after a while, briefly at first, to give her a chance to get used to that.

Depending on how long it is until you show, take her out again and have her do a few quick puppy push-ups, a little bit of heeling, a quick game, then back into her crate. You can probably do this sequence a couple of times....use your judgement. You want your dog enthusiastic but not over the top! But you also don't want to leave your best performance outside the ring. Since you have one of Christine's dogs I don't think you have to worry about not having enough dog <G>

Good luck, have fun! Go show off your dog!

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! There are definitely no worries about not having enough dog... still haven't found the bottom even if she did sleep a lot after hiking this weekend. Thanks for the advice on how to approach crating at the show. She's used to it at home but we've never done it at class. Tug won't be too disruptive, will it? Other than chasing her favorite ball that's her favorite thing to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Elite Member

Make sure to watch some other classes go before you. Take your time with the walk thru and ask questions. I found the judge and fellow exhibitors to be very fun and helpful. Oh, and take flash cards with the sign descriptions or have it loaded on your I-phone. Very important!

PLan on having lots of fun..if you have a happy dog..keep the speed up to keep her attention up.

We did our first Novice A..had only trained at home ( in rally anyway)...and
we placed first with the fastest time!

Good luck..rally is fun and low stress!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, we had a great time and two qualifying scores! Piper was very cool about the whole experience... only thing is that she isn't used to being left in a crate anywhere other than home. So I stuck her back in the car when it was time for the walk though. We're going to show again at the end of this month and hopefully finish the Novice title! Thanks for the advice and input!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Elite Member

Congratulations!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:07 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Wonderful news and congrats to the both of you!!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Update: We did the Langley Kennel Club Memorial Day Cluster last weekend. Whew!! That's a huge show!! Saturday, the day Piper went had over 1100 dogs entered between the breed show and obedience/rally trials. Even though we only needed one more leg I entered two classes and she sailed through both! I was a little concerned how she would react to such an odd place - tons of dogs, spectators, vendors, barking, grooming (blow dryers), loud PA system, and so many new distractions. She didn't bat an eye though... walked in with crate and stuff in tow on a dolly like she'd been doing this all along. Went in the ring and other than an itchy moment and a "oh, I'm still working" space cadet moment she was perfect. So Piper is now a Rally Novice dog with all her scores being in the 90s. Next step: Advanced

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

Congratulations!!

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Master Member

Big congrats!

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page