General competing question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

General competing question

I am completely new to the world of dog sports but am wanting to learn and get more involved. We have a 5 month old GSD, Angel, but she is a rescue and we do not know if she is full blood or not (looks it, but no way to tell for sure). Please excuse my ignorance here, but do they have to be full blood and AKC registered in order to do any competing?

We are not sure yet what we would like to do as far as training - would LOVE flyball because she absolutely LOVES her balls, but the closest place doing this is 3 hours away. So we are thinking either obiedience and/or agility. The closest place to possibly train for these is still an hour away, but it might still be a possibility.

What are the first things that I need to know and when is a good time to start training? She has been through her first puppy class (home manners) and will be starting an intermediate class probably the first of May (whenever it starts!)

Thanks for all the help - everyone here is SOOO amazing and soooo helpful!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

You can get an ILP / PAL number for her from the AKC and compete in anything except confirmation. Just do a search for it on the akc.org site

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Crowned Member

If you want to do AKC obedience, agility, rally, etc, then you can get a PAL number (probably). If the dog looks like a GSD, then look up the requirements for PAL on the akc.org website and fill out an application with the required documentation.

If you do not think she will pass for purebred, you can go with canine partners and then you can participate in AKC shows that allow mixed breed dogs and earn titles through the AKC.

I am not sure of the requirments for fly ball, who sanctions those trials.

A good goal for a new dog is to start with a CGC, (Canine Good Citizen). This is just some basic commands, walking well on lead, not reacting badly to dogs and other distractions, and the killer for some, supervised separation. Once the dog is through the CGC, then work toward a title in whichever venue you like best.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! We are going to try for the CGC. Once we get that we want to do something else but not for sure which yet. I will do more research now that I know she can do more!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Crowned Member

And there are many other venues other than AKC. DOCNA, ASCA, UKC, couple others that I can't remember.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 PM

Ill speak for agility since thats what Im more familiar with.

For one the are many different organizations to go through but the main ones are AKC, CPE, USDAA and NADAC. All will except mixed and purebred dogs.

As for training you can start right now. Join a foundation or puppy agility class, that will teach the basics and give you a better understanding of the sport and competing.

If you arent sure if you want to compete you can always just go a watch a trial to see what its like. There are usually lots of people that would love to talk to new people about the sport. You can even bring Angel with you for some good socialization

Here is a site where you can find local trials near you
AgilityEvents.net - Events

Bentley - Rottweiler/German Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page