Crooked Fronts / Right side pain? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Crooked Fronts / Right side pain?

On short distances, Jax comes in straight.

But...on longer distances she ALWAYS pushes off and veers to the left in an arc which causes her to come in crooked.

She has HD in both hips, her right is the one that bothers her during an exam. Her right knee is the one that was injured last fall and still bothers her after certain things.

Would pain on the right cause her to veer to the left?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

Which side are you rewarding from?

It could be the pain, but I would guess she is anticipating the reward.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

You also may try and "help" her straighten out. I liked to use my hands/arms. I kinda look like I am flagging down a plane and showing them where I want them to land (bring them in front of my body). I then lure that out after a few times of them coming in at the right spot.

Also, I don't reward unless I have him straight, eye contact, etc.. Zefra for some reason (probably a lot of foundation work I did) always comes in night and straight and tight.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She is the great anticipator...

My right hand. So...if she veers to my left and comes in crooked then she's right in line to just take off to get the toy. I've caught her doing this before because I throw with my right hand and her reward is most often a toy so I started putting it behind me on the ground or leaving it with her so she has to go back to it to break that pattern.

I also wonder if I created the problem but rewarding her when she corrected, after she came in crooked, and sat directly in front of me instead of just restarting. Maybe I need to back it up and foundation, go short distances and not reward unless it's perfect.

if her right side hurt and she was compensating for it, wouldn't she push off with her left so would veer to my right instead?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Master Member

I would think if the right side hurt she would veer to the right.

I use a homemade "chute" to get my dogs to learn to come in straight, you can use anything to make the chute, I've used dial rods taped to the top of cones, ring gates, pieces of wood or pvc, anything that guides the dog to front straight and makes them think twice about veering to the side,
I also never treat with the same hand, and if I'm rewarding with a toy, I've stuffed the toy under the front of my shirt so that the dog knows it's there. and then the toy "falls" out of my shirt to reward the dog.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She is veering to her right, my left..but only on long distances.

I"ll try the toy in my shirt and see if that brings her in straight.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Crowned Member

Pan does the same thing, on a longer recall or retrieve he wants to sit a bit crooked, to my left, on the finish. To fix this I've done two things: 1) sometimes when he comes in I spread my legs, toss the ball through and have him go straight through my legs 2) sometimes I step my left leg forward at the last second, to guide him in straight and prevent him from stopping crooked. Also, I reward WAY more in front than after a finish, and if I do a finish I do it separately from the recall or the retrieve. I think a lot of dogs anticipate the finish and that's why they come in slightly crooked to our left.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Lies. I don't ever, ever, ever do a finish with her on a recall because she thought Come meant to come and heel. So I had to change the command to Front and retrain it.

I'll try throwing my leg out and see if that corrects her. I think I need to work on correcting her from the start. She comes out in a visible long arch to my left (her right) and that's why she's crooked. Maybe doing more of the ball through my legs is the key to getting her to come in straight at me? Have a lesson this Friday so will see what the trainer says also.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah, the reward through the legs might help. I don't do too much with my body because then the dog relies on lures (I don't like to rely on holding a toy at my belly button). Now that Pan is straight I'm proofing it by doing weird stuff and expecting him to stay straight.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I don't like to use a toy or my body for a target either. I found that by doing that, she concentrates on wherever the toy or my hand may be instead of where she is supposed to be. In fact, if I hold a toy it's a guarantee she sit out of position in anticipation of the toy being thrown...omg...I throw with my right hand so she arches to my left and sits on my left because then she is in line to chase the toy and I"ve been rewarding her for coming in, sitting crooked, correcting her position.

wow....crud...got it figured out. Now to fix it. I hate it when I create my own problems! I'll try a combination of what you suggested tonight and see how that goes starting from shorter distances.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page