Failed CGC??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Question Failed CGC???

My girl did great on all aspects of the CGC except the last one....staying with a stranger while I left the room. She stayed composed for 1.5 minutes then started pulling on the leash. She is very attached to me and always stays near me in public. She doesn't have fear issues, has never shown separation anxiety when left at home.

She does have trouble staying focused when my trainer handles her because she constantly looks around for me.

Is this really a bad thing? She is almost 2. Is she just a bit young to separate from me?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sure Ozzy would fail that part miserably.

He wants to be with me, just me, only me, all the time. When I'm around and someone will command him to do something, he looks to me. Usually he blows them off completely, but he'll listen to anything I tell him the first time, almost before I'm finished giving the command.

Personally, I like the fact he doesn't listen to strangers. I don't like other people commanding my dog to do things. I'll admit though, I do get a little laugh out of the people's frustrations when he doesn't listen to them.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Banned

My dog did the same. She is 2.5.
She doesn't like being left with strangers.
I don't hold that against her, even though the CGC does.
I think it is an unnecessary part of the test because the rest tests
temperament and approachability. But that's just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 PM

I would have sworn to you that Kaiser would fail that part but he really surprised me and did well. This is a dog that has climbed through tiny windows to get to me.

A good class that slowly desensitizes them to being left when you say it's okay will help a lot.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
A good class that slowly desensitizes them to being left when you say it's okay will help a lot.
Yup, that's what we did in our class. Slowly built up the amount of time they were left each week for 6 weeks. The owner didn't come back unless the dog was calm. At the end of 6 weeks, all 8 dogs passed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I would have sworn to you that Kaiser would fail that part but he really surprised me and did well. This is a dog that has climbed through tiny windows to get to me.

Exactly
My class attempted that over 6 weeks to no avail.
It would have been good if I had someone to work with outside of class.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

That's the part I am worried about the most. Especially since I work agitated recals in schutzhund :/ I would not hold that against your dog. I honestly would rather it that way. I am my dogs handler NO one else.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I honestly would rather it that way. I am my dogs handler NO one else.
Not the vet? Or the groomer? Or the person who works at the boarding kennel when you're called out of town unexpectedly and can't make other arrangements? Unfortunately there are times in a dog's life when he has to be left with someone who isn't his owner.

I like being bonded to my dogs as much as any one, but-- and this is just my humble opinion-- a dog who can't be left with a groomer, veterinarian, etc without falling apart is not an example of good temperament. The dog doesn't have to be lovey-dovey and give them kisses, but they shouldn't fall to pieces either.

I think that being left with a stranger is a crucial part of the CGC.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I feel better now. Only problem is, she has to pass the test to start therapy training...well at least to pass the therapy test.

We never really worked on this in class. Although there were several shepherds in our sat group class, they were all so laid back.

Sooo..now trying to figure out what to do. She would be a great therapy dog. She has the temperament for it, and I have no intention of anyone handling her without me being present.

What to do???
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Not the vet? Or the groomer? Or the person who works at the boarding kennel when you're called out of town unexpectedly and can't make other arrangements? Unfortunately there are times in a dog's life when he has to be left with someone who isn't his owner.

I like being bonded to my dogs as much as any one, but-- and this is just my humble opinion-- a dog who can't be left with a groomer, veterinarian, etc without falling apart is not an example of good temperament. The dog doesn't have to be lovey-dovey and give them kisses, but they shouldn't fall to pieces either.

I think that being left with a stranger is a crucial part of the CGC.
I disagree.
My dog can be left with groomers, etc. She just doesn't like it and says so. Once I have been gone for a while she settles down. But in CGC she has to settle down IMMEDIATELY FOR 3 MINUTES. No complaints or tugging in my direction allowed. I am not bothered that she doesn't go easily into the hands of others. CGC literally means Canine Good Citizen and my dog is that. She is approachable and behaves well for all of the first nine tests. The separation test has nothing to do with being a good citizen and has everything to do with loyalty, which is a whole nuther thing.

Last edited by PaddyD; 02-14-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page