Heeling & Focus? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question Heeling & Focus?

I just wondered if you have this while working the dog, what command are you giving, watch or are you just treating when they look at ya? What do you say to get to your side & as you step off & also while walking? What if they pull ahead some, command for correction?

If you have good focus & they seem to always want to watch you walking on a lead, how about talking just a normal walk & you don't need such focus?

Thanks for any advice.....

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Elite Member

What exactly is your question? Maybe no one answered because we don't know what you asking.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Master Member

I use fuss, and only fuss. Fuss means to my dog, get in the heel position, stay in the heel position, and watch my handler. I tell her "fuss", she comes to my side. "Fuss" again right as we begin walking. If she leaves position (goes forward or backwards from the heel position) then it is "No, fuss." I don't believe in having different commands for it, it should all mean the same thing to the dog.

www.rescuedrover.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Crowned Member

I train the focus ("watch") before I ever start heeling. Once the dog can give me uninterrupted focus even under distractions, then I add the movement of heeling. I don't give any commands until the dog can already heel quite a ways. Once the dog is doing it correctly I start calling it "fuss" and building it into a command.

For a normal walk I say "let's go" and don't require the same focus and precision. For us, walks are for getting exercise and sniffing around. Formal heeling is for obedience training and competition.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 PM

For attention in sitting position I use "ready" (in AKC the judge will ask are you ready) For forward movement I use "dog's name and "heel"
For a walk at the park I use differant collar and leads with no real comand ex for the "leave it" for rabbits, ducks, or poop someone didn't pick up.

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I train the focus ("watch") before I ever start heeling. Once the dog can give me uninterrupted focus even under distractions, then I add the movement of heeling. I don't give any commands until the dog can already heel quite a ways. Once the dog is doing it correctly I start calling it "fuss" and building it into a command.

For a normal walk I say "let's go" and don't require the same focus and precision. For us, walks are for getting exercise and sniffing around. Formal heeling is for obedience training and competition.
Ok cool, what I have been doing. I need to divide the norm walk from the obed walk/heel, she wants to watch me on norm walks, like that, but wanting her to realize this is a fun walk. I was worried about using heel for side position & also when stepping off & moving.

Do you on a norm walk let them walk out ahead every which way as long as no pulling or do you still keep them right at your side?

The diff collars is a good idea, have not messed with that. What if you all switch do you use?

Thanks much....

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Master Member

I guess Ive never given my dog a command for a normal walk... "QUIT PULLING ME" is probably going to be our cue, because she definitely doesn't want to fuss when we're out on a normal walk hahah.

www.rescuedrover.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page