Favourite Show/Trial Crate? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Question Favourite Show/Trial Crate?

What's your favourite crate for taking to shows, and why?

I'm just starting rally obedience with my boy, but we're loving it (and he seems to have an aptitude for it), and I would really like to compete (beyond the RN level). I also have agility aspirations.

We've been to 3 classes in a 7 class series. So far I've just been having him 'down' on a mat next to me. Instructors have been holding dogs without crates while we do walkthroughs, but I would like to start desensitizing him to being in a crate in that kind of environment.

The only problem is I just can't bring myself to lug his 48" wire kennel to class every week . It's far too big for him anyway (Sprocket's a MB, only about 50lb, would be fine in a 36" crate, but this is what I had).

I'm looking at soft crates, for their ease of portability and the size they collapse down to. I just don't know what to be looking for in this kind of crate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:19 PM

I use a 36" wire for shows, I had a friend make a cart to put it on so I just pull it to wherever I want to set up, also good to bunje cord the chair, umbrella, cooler, extra jacket, crate cover, training bag, water bucket, all the stuff that you end up hauling to a trial.
I know quite a few folks who use soft sided crates, but I feel more secure using a wire crate at shows. Dogs can get out of soft sided crates if they really want to. They can also roll them down hills (while inside them ) Funny

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Banned

I have a 42" soft-sided crate but its for travel and not really for shows. I also have a 36" wire in my car so I can always leave him in there. I'm more of the show up and leave show person, I don't really stick around for long after my class goes. If I do, I just put him down and hold on to the leash. Many shows don't have that much space for crates anyways, and the only reason I see needing one is if I were to do two different classes and stay in the intermission, but that's years away when I'm doing novice and open at the same time or whatever else there is for those combined titles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

Would also like to buy a soft sided crate so hopefully someone will post some sites-I haven't found one I liked at a price I like
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 AM
Knighted Member

I use a wire crate for Whiskey. I am thinking of getting an aluminum one because he is starting to get strong enough to put dents into the wire crate. I might just cave in and get custom crates installed in the van or get a dog trailer.

I use Petmate Vari Kennel for Wiva. It's the perfect size to allow them to get up and move around, but still small enough to lift and lug around easily. It costs 115$ on Amazon with free shipping. Drsfostersandsmith has their own brand crate that looks pretty good for about 80$ with free shipping which I think is a good deal. DrFosters also includes stickers and attachable food/drink bowls.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page