Beginner Novice and/or Companion Dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Beginner Novice and/or Companion Dog?

Why would someone choose to work for a BN title over a CD title? Is the BN just slightly easier than the CD? If my understanding is correct, one could actually earn both of those titles. It is unclear to me why one would want a BN if they've earned a CD though.

Beginner Novice
  1. Heel on Leash 40 points
  2. Figure Eight 40 points
  3. Sit for Exam 40 points
  4. Sit Stay 40 points
  5. Recall 40 points
Maximum Total Score 200 points

Companion Dog
  1. Heel on Leash and Figure Eight 40 points
  2. Stand for Examination 30 points
  3. Heel Free 40 points
  4. Recall 30 points
  5. Long Sit 30 points
  6. Long Down 30 points
Maximum Total Score 200 points

Also- is it too much to go for a CD without first earning a BN, specifically for someone who has never worked a dog in obedience before?

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 12-16-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Master Member

When I showed my first dog Indy the BN wasn't an option, so I did Rally first with the RN I didn't have to let my dog off lead which is something having never been in a ring with a judge, I was very nervous about, so I was able to get alittle experience in the ring before going on to the CD, I can see where the BN is a good stepping stone for a first timmer to get their feet wet in a fun way. Dog wise Indy could of handled the CD without the RN first easily, he flew through the CD in 3 shows with 2 1st's and a 2nd, but I needed some ring experience so I didn't make stupid nervous mistakes and I think the RN or BN helps with that.
I also know alot of people that are going back and picking up the BN now for fun while working on their CDX or UD because it wasnt' available when they started their dog.
With Frank I started him in the BN even though he could do all the CD exercises because he was young 13mos, and I wanted to see how he handled the excitement of a show, he did fine and it was an easy title to get him started in the obed. ring

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Master Member

I forgot to add I wont' go back and pick up the BN with Indy purly because I've retired him, he has developed some dog aggression issues which is why he's not gone on to his CDX. otherwise I would just for fun.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Franksmom- that's some good info!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 PM

The BN was never offered when I did obed,,it looks like all exercises are done "on leash"? I to would say it's a good stepping stone for someone who has never competed before, never been around the show scene, and maybe wasn't quite sure what to expect...

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM

It's MUCH easier than a CD. First, it's ALL on leash. There are some dogs that have yet to perfect their off leash heeling, but are good with on leash. Also, the stand for exam can be difficult for some dogs. The sit for exam is a good stepping stone. I think it's a great title to go for if you have basic OB but aren't quite ready for a CD and I think that was the point of it anyhow. :-)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

The BN is much, much easier than a CD. Everything but the sit stay is on leash, and even then the leash stays on the dog, the handler just isn't holding it any longer. Sit for exam instead of a stand, no group stays off lead with the handler way across the ring, heeling is a rally sign pattern, no judge following along barking out orders.

It can be a good way for people and dogs to get some positive ring experience with a younger, less trained dog and get an idea of how the dog does in a trial environment before pressing onto the CD and taking the leash off. This can be a very nice stepping stone for people coming to OB from rally, or getting into competitive obedience for the first time, as the CD can seem very daunting to people new to obedience. And of course it also makes more money for AKC and the clubs holding shows.

I think the whole BN came about because the creation of rally didn't go the way AKC had intended. Rally was originally to be an easier, more fun way to attract more people to training and competing their dogs, with the hope that once addicted they'd graduate to obedience. But as it turned out a whole rally crowd developed of people who just do rally, some very seriously, and they stick with rally and don't move over to obedience. I would bet they are hoping the BN will fill the same niche they intended with rally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 PM

Chris Wild hit the nail on the head. On top of that, I've heard more people complaining about Rally being difficult than the BN. I think a lot of people get nervous with Rally because it's always a new pattern and you never know what will be thrown out at you. The BN is a set pattern and pretty easy to do. Besides the sit stay (where you walk around the ring), probably easier than Rally, depending on who you ask.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Master Member

There isn't a set heeling pattern in Beginner Novice....but the pattern is limited to the basic signs and the only halt is at the end.

Many people find it easy because they don't have to listen to a judge call out heeling commands. I think it's a good class for green dogs or newbie handlers.

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM

I am one leg away from my BN, and should have the last leg pretty quick. I think that the judges are much more lenient with BN than with other classes. I know I got away with some barking that would have really cost points in any other class, and finished in first place with said barking. I saw it as stress, and the judge saw it as an exuberant dog wanting to work. I just don't think the experience is there for us yet, and that is what I love about the BN. I can get some experience and don't have to wait years and many matches to move up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page