Broad Jump in Open - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Broad Jump in Open

I'm having an issue with my dog ticking the first broad jump board. I have some ideas on how to work on this, I was just curious what your solutions are?

Often if the weather is good, the first jump is good but if I ask for more than one jump or if it is hot, he'll tick the first board and sometimes the last. I think he's just getting lazy about it, but wanted to hear some other ideas for what you do for a dog who doesn't put in the effort.

Moxie vom Triton RA CD (GSD)
Breaca von Dog Pound (BC)
APRI Ch Royalty's Jinx'D Ya RN CDX (Sheltie)
RIP Achielles UD, Axel CD, Hella & Malfoy (GSDs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

I would stick jump him over the jump and maybe sweep his back feet as he goes over to pick up his feet. I might also run him over the jump to make it more fun and him faster.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:26 PM

three choices. 1. Pull roll of small plastic or chicken wire fencing in front of first jump/last, makes him pick up his feet. 2. attach two dowels straight up on each corner of jump far left and far right about 8 inches up. Attach fishing line to dowel and string across. Dog ticks fishing line and picks up feet. 3. flip board upward to make dog jump higher to gain height on the jump...this is for minor intermittent problems.

Minardi
Boreas Von Stickel, BH, CD, CDX, UD, RN, RA, CGC, TDi
Emma Peel Vom Tollhaus, BH, AD, SchHIII, CD, CDX, UD (2), RN, RA, CGC, RL1, RL2, NAP
Chaos Von Stickel, CD, CDX, BH, RN, RA, CGC, RL1, RL2,
Calais Von Stickel, CD, RN, RA, CGC, RN, RA, RL1, RL2, NAP, NAJ

They are your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog.
You are their life, their love, their leader.
They will be yours, faithful and true,
To the last beat of their heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

I would space them just a couple inches more than they need to be in the first place. Set the first jump up right and see if that helps. It will give the dog more of an obstacle to see and avoid. You may need to play with a few ideas to see what will work best, and you may need to always use a different one in practice only.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Elite Member

All good suggestions . . . my number 1 fix for broad jump issues is to set up a bar jump over the broad jump. For late jumping, I'd move the bar jump closer to the first board so the dog takes off a little earlier. For a lazy jumper, I'd set the bar high to remind my dog, "Hey, this is a jump, remember?"

For a really lazy jumper, you might need to work on attitude . . . the broad jump needs to be fun again. You can hide a tug behind your back and throw it as your dog goes over the jump. You can place a tug or target with food straight out from the broad jump and occasionally send your dog to find it. A dog that is expecting something fun or yummy might be a little more energized with his jumping. Hope this helps!

PAM Guardyan's Gavin, VCD2, CDX, RE, AX, AXJ, AXP, AJP, TD
PACH Guardyan's Helki, CDX, PCDX, RA, MXP3, MXPB, MJP3, MJPB, CGCA
Guardyan's Kamikaze BN, CDX, RE, OAP, OJP
Guardyan's Kricket BN, CD, RN, NAP, OJP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page