Attention word - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Attention word

U need some input from those of you that actively trial in Obedience. I have been out fo the sport for a few years and need some advice.l In the past, I always used the word "Ready" to answer the judges question of "Are you ready?", but I understand that it has fallen out of favor.

So, what is in favor? What do you use for an attention word?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Elite Member

"watch."

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I use "look". A lot of people use "watch" but I don't care for that one simply because I use German commands for most things and "watch" and "platz" sound too similar (and on more than one occasion I've seen dogs confuse the two if watch was the focus command).

At the local AKC facility I train at, and at local matches and trials, "ready" seems to be the word most everyone uses. Though it seems some also use it as a yes marker as well. Apparently if it's fallen out of favor it hasn't in this area yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
I use "look". A lot of people use "watch" but I don't care for that one simply because I use German commands for most things and "watch" and "platz" sound too similar (and on more than one occasion I've seen dogs confuse the two if watch was the focus command).

At the local AKC facility I train at, and at local matches and trials, "ready" seems to be the word most everyone uses. Though it seems some also use it as a yes marker as well. Apparently if it's fallen out of favor it hasn't in this area yet.
What about "wache"? I use watch but want to find a german equivalent. Achtung is too long I think

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Elite Member

Ah yes, I use look also, but use it for looking at something else or look in my direction. When I say look, she looks at my hands... for a treat, or an object, or for me to point at something else for her to look at. So if I want her eyes on my eyes I use watch. A lot of people in my class use "watch me" but I like shorter commands, and I think in AKC you can only use one word commands if I am not mistaken.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
"I like Daffy" Moderator

In AKC I have titled dogs using "lie down" for my drop on recall command, so you can use more than one word, but it should be fairly short. And you can say anything to your dog before you answer the judge's question of "Are you Ready?". I don't want to answer the question with "Yes" because I use that word as a marker for a correct behaivior. I don't want him breaking position just before we start.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Master Member

I use "Look"

Gobles Sonar vom Shipwreck, CGC
Dark Sable 100% DDR German Shepherd (4/1/2010)

Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
Grey/White Siberian Husky (8/29/2005)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 PM

What is wrong is "ready?" Judge says, "Are you ready?" I say "ready" Zack looks up and I give the command. Seems good to me...?

To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page