1. Get there EARLY.
2. Bring a light chair to sit on.
3. Let your dog relax and potty before going in the ring.
4. Don't forget to take the collar with tags off the dog, I use a special lead and martingale for showing. I spazzed when the judge told me that I could not have the collar w/tags on the dog, rushed to the truck got another one, switched it, was showing two dogs, so I was thinking that I would have to remember to do the same for the second, and blew right by a sign. NQ. I took first with the second dog, and he was not nearly as polished as Arwen.
5. Your first time out -- one dog, one event. After a dozen titles, it still totally wacks me out when I am worried about getting this dog through Rally and that one through obedience at the same show, usually within the same time frame. Why do I continue to do it? Too many dogs, too little intelligence.
6. Breathe. You do not want to be the first person to feint doing obedience.
7. Listen to the judge. They do a walk-through and the judge will tell you what they are looking for. If you have a question, ASK. They WANT to help you succeed not fail.
8. Appreciate the stewards. They are not there to hold your dogs or lend you a pen. Most of them have little experience and are a bit overwhelmed with all they have to do. But they generally manage to do a great job all the same. Know where you are and where you need to be so they do not have to call out for you.
9. HAVE FUN. If this is not fun for you and for the dog, maybe something else is a better choice. I have done obedience and rally and have trained in agility. I KNOW agility is not my thing, even if my dogs are suited to it. I find Rally more fun then obedience.
ETA: 10. Bring a friend. A friend can be a big help, they can hold your dog for the walk through and in case you need to go to the bathroom. Some friends can tell you what you did wrong in there (though must judges will let you know too at the end.) And a friend can be awesome for people watching, dog watching, etc.
Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Last edited by selzer; 05-10-2011 at 03:40 PM.