So embarrassed! and feeling guilty. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to rebelsgirl
So embarrassed! and feeling guilty.

I went for my first ASCA rally novice with Duke. He's done 2 legs already. We practiced and practiced, and he was doing really well. He did some practice at the rally outside the ring and was doing well, ignoring other dogs and such.

BUT we got in the ring and he totally left me there. The trials were in an arena. There were horses right outside the ring on the other side of a wall with doorways thru it. His brain just totally left me.

I had a major panic attack and had to leave the ring rather than vomit or pass out. He wasn't having anything to do with it anyway. I've also only had him about 2 months, so the horses and cows were more interesting I guess.

So the thing is, I am feeling guilty for leaving the ring, I feel I let my trainer down.. I feel like I let Duke down.

We're still in training for rally novice at the training facility. We have one more class left. I want to take a break over the summer and I feel guilty for that too.

How in the world will I ever get myself over that and do it again? lol.. I dunno.

Anyways, my hat is off to those of you who do this on a regular basis. It's MUCH harder than it looks. I don't know if I'm going to try it again or not.

So there is my dirty little secret. I really am ashamed...

Kim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebel, RIP
Zoe "crazy girl"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R
owdy/rescue, CGC
Duke/rescue, CGC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Knighted Member

I don't have any experience in that but just want to let you know that I feel bad for you.

Just think about that movie The Water Boy:

You Can Do it!!!!

And only having him for 2 months...that's actually quite exceptional.
Keep on keeping on!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

You didn't let anyone down. Duke would have picked up on your anxiety and it could have soured him in the ring. On Jax's potential third leg, some woman decided that playing frisbee not to far from the ring was the thing to do at just that moment. I was so busy trying to get Jax back on track that I blew right by a sign and blew her third leg and title. We've all had those moments were we feel we've let our dogs down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Knighted Member

Don't feel embarrassed... Everyone else is probably just glad it wasn't them
...and Duke has no idea what happened
I suffer from panic attacks too and it really helps my confidence when I see others screw up... it takes the edge off when I do it right after LOL
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

Don't feel bad, you only had the dog for two months, and who would think there would be horses at a dog show. I mean, we do not train around horses.

You have two legs already, you can get the third one. Just put this behind you.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Knighted Member

You have to move on...it happened, it's done, and you can't change it. Dogs pick up on our emotions so learning to keep them in check is important for this third leg you are going to conquer. If you don't face it now it will just haunt you forever- Duke can do it and so can you
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Banned

stop the wimpy- wimpy. you didn't let anybody down
certainly not the dog. train, train, train and get into the ring
as soon as possible. good luck.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Elite Member

Don't give up! You've had him only 2 months and already have 2 ASCA RN legs? That's Great!

We have to remember, we train and train and train... eventually we go in the ring to see how the training is going to show itself that day

I've had dogs and myself so nervous that something wonky happens. It happens to all of us that show our dogs! The thing I always remind myself of is that no one judges mistakes others make or that I make because everyone has seen it at some point if they show long enough, to themselves or someone else lol

At a recent show, I recall a flat coat doing off lead heeling in Novice. They do an about turn and the dog jumps the ring gate and races around the show site, jumpig back in the ring and just having a great time lol. Second day, same dog, on down stays, gets bored, jumps OVER 3 other dogs and races to the GSD that has blown the down by moving into a sit. Scares the GSD and both of them run out of the ring (the stewards should have blocked the exit a little better imo lol) and run around the show site again!

So, remember, no matter how bad it was that day, our dogs are always in training. Some days will go great! Other days, we'll find out what we need more training on lol. AND No matter what we or our dogs do, someone else has done it or seen it before or even something worse

Brush it off, train some more in different places with more distractions and remember, We're having fun with our dogs (I had to tell myself that too recently at the show while I was trying to breathe while in the ring! I know I'll be telling myself again when I show Moxie weekend after next! LOL!! )

Moxie vom Triton RA CD (GSD)
Breaca von Dog Pound (BC)
APRI Ch Royalty's Jinx'D Ya RN CDX (Sheltie)
RIP Achielles UD, Axel CD, Hella & Malfoy (GSDs)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Crowned Member

omg..the zoomies! We entered a DOCNA agility trial. First time out so only wanted Jax to STAY with me! Not happening! She hit the top of the A-frame and was gone. People were screaming "Shut the gate!" She raced, at top speed, around the inside fence perimeter while I yelled for her. I finally realized she wasn't going to come to me so I knelt down and waited from her. AS she came towards me, I thought she would stop so I held out my arms. She knocked me flat on my back right next to the judge. All I could say, as I looked up at him, was "I think we're done here".

Next run, she stayed with me but we didn't Q. First run next day, off to ensure the fence perimeter was safe again. Second run that day...She WON! And we earned a leg.

You never know what these dogs will do. Just take it in stride. If you are putting to much pressure on yourself then you aren't having fun and if you aren't having fun then what is the point!?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to rebelsgirl
Thank you for the stories! My trainer told me some of her own in competitions, such as her dog going over the ring gate to get to another dog!

I know it was discouraging at the time and VERY embarrassing for me because of the panic attack. Duke got 2 of the three legs but it was with his previous owner. She is very used to competing in different things. She does horses, plays ice hockey and is in the military.. I don't have her confidence. BUT having said that. I'm going to continue to train him, bond with him and my other dogs, and MAYBE in a year or two I'll feel like doing it again. I just wanted to know if any of you ever felt that way or if I was a fluke.

He did feed off me tho. He acted like he was in trouble when we got home. I've got to learn to keep myself in check and build my confidence up. Right now even thiniking about going back in the ring scares the beejeebers out of me and makes my heart race!

Thank you guys for the encouragement!

Kim

Rebel, RIP
Zoe "crazy girl"

R
owdy/rescue, CGC
Duke/rescue, CGC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page