"Old Dog"- New Tricks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

"Old Dog"- New Tricks?

Hey guys. I feel like a horrible dog owner for only recently hearing about what a CGC is and realizing there are some great places nearby to do obedience with my girl. Maybe I should cut myself some slack since I was only in high school when I got her....

Anyways! Is there ever a point where it's too late to really push your dog's training further? Stella is about 5 years old and could really use a job. She knows sit, down and stay (when my parents enforce it) and has a decent recall but I'm hoping to take her out to some obedience classes and eventually work up to a CGC with her before getting another large breed dog and doing the same with it. So, anyone else out there started upping the training level so late in the game?

-Lauren-
Love my Beast, Stella GSD/Lab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Crowned Member

I have not done it but know several people who have rescued older dogs with no to very little training and gotten a CGC. It may take longer for some but I do not think a healthy dog is ever too old to learn something new. Good luck to you!

I didn't know what a CGC was until I joined the site Don't sweat it

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Master Member

I adopted Blitz when he was about 5 or 6. He had NO previous training with dedication and lots of tasty treats he's has basic obedience down (sit, stay, down, wait). We're still working on his recall and dog reactivity, though they're steadily improving.

I'd say it's a little more of a challenge than training a puppy, but it defiantly can be done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Crowned Member

I really do imagine that your girl can learn the CGC exercises! Go give it a try. She already has some learned behaviors too.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Good to know it's been done! I probably would've tried anyways haha.

She could care less about more then one or two treats in a row, but luckily has an awesome drive to play with her toys most of the time so we may be using that as a reward along with pets and praise, she's such an attention lover. I would prefer it that way anyways.

-Lauren-
Love my Beast, Stella GSD/Lab
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Elite Member

It can totally be done!

I got Sydney when she was 6 years old. She did not know how to "sit" or "down" on command at all, she was a breed ring dog and wasnt taught these things.

I started training her for her CD (Companion Dog) Title when she was 7, and before she was 8 she had her CD and RN (Rally Novice) titles. Not only did she get these titles, but for her CD she placed for all 3 of her legs, two 1st places, and one 2nd place. Her highest score was a 194 and her lowest a 189.5. She also ranked nationally for the novice class, in breed and non-sporting. In 2007 she ranked the 4th highest score average for CD titles earned by all Dalmatians that year.

I would encourage you to do the CGC for sure!

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page