nov. obed question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

nov. obed question.

Frank is doing really well training for his CD, even over the winter when it's been hard to train he seems to be remembering things easily.
My question is he's my first GSD, he'll be a year old in April, I know each dog is different but as a general rule do GSD's mature enough to go into the ring at a year old, or will I be better off waiting even to the fall or next spring.
I know it's not an easily answered question since all dogs are different, I just don't want to push him to fast.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

I usually have my dogs go in to the rally ring at just under to just over a year old. But that is totally on lead. I train for that first. If you have been training for it and he is doing all the exersizes with distractions, other dogs present, than take him to a fun match and see how he does.

One of my puppies' owners had her pup go through a pre-novice judging as their obedience graduation. I was there. I think the puppy was about eight months old. He took second place and did very well. I was proud of him. But pre-novice is all on lead.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

His age doesn't matter;if he's ready, he's ready. Take him to some fun matches and some run throughs and see how he does.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 PM

have you had him out at matches or show n go s? how he does there would be my deciding factor as to his readyness for the show ring. Not his age.

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks everyone! I've been working with the Rally signs too, and I'm thinking about doing the Beg. Nov. first since it's all on leash. I'll probably do the Rally novice too.
I wasn't thinking about showing him so soon but I had him at a Show n go to test and see how our training was going in the novice work, and he really surprised me at how well he did. that club has a show n go each month so I'm going to try to go to all of them to see if it was a fluke or if he really is ready.

king bc mix
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Kay

It depends on the dog. My gal just turned a year; people in our training class have told me to go for it (we're entered for her CD in April) and I still don't think she's ready. She's perfect at home and at class, but the second she enters the ring she's like "OMG THERE IS SO MUCH GOING ON" and she enters lala land. I know this because we completed our Pre-Novice and Rally Novice a month ago (she actually got DQ'd in one of her PCD legs haha).

But ever since then I've noticed an improvement... she seems less distracted, maybe it's her maturing or perhaps she's getting used to the environment. I don't think she was ready but I don't regret entering her in the last show because it was EXPOSURE for her and me (I'm new at competing, as I'm assuming you are?).

I suggest to take your pooch to a fun match, best way to gauge how he'll react when you have him in the ring. I try my hardest to make it to as many as I possibly can!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 03:08 PM

My Girl is 15 months old, I'm starting her in rally first, her heeling for reg Obed, isn't where I want it to be yet.

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
His age doesn't matter;if he's ready, he's ready. Take him to some fun matches and some run throughs and see how he does.
Competing for CD at less than a year of age is rather young, but I agree that if he seems ready then give it a try as long as it's a positive experience for him. But definatley try a fun match or two and /or 'run through' at someplace unfamiliar to him. It's a bit of a stressor for a dog that young to be competing, but then there are exceptions and he may be one.

Jetta Vom Alpenhof CDX RE CGC BH TT
Ch Donka's Sharp Dressed Man(Dre)CD RE CGC TC
Donka's Girls Night Out (Nina)CD HT BN CGC TT
Donka's Supersport(Chevelle)RN,CGC {10/19/98 - 5/29/11 RIP princess,we miss you}
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

We have our second fun match tomorrow, so I'm going to see how he does, his first one went really well. The place we have our fun match is also where there are 2 shows held this fall. I have 2 shows in May that I may show him at depending on how he does between now and then at the fun matches. Frank will be a year old the end of April.

king bc mix
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
It depends on the dog. My gal just turned a year; people in our training class have told me to go for it (we're entered for her CD in April) and I still don't think she's ready. She's perfect at home and at class, but the second she enters the ring she's like "OMG THERE IS SO MUCH GOING ON" and she enters lala land. I know this because we completed our Pre-Novice and Rally Novice a month ago (she actually got DQ'd in one of her PCD legs haha).

But ever since then I've noticed an improvement... she seems less distracted, maybe it's her maturing or perhaps she's getting used to the environment. I don't think she was ready but I don't regret entering her in the last show because it was EXPOSURE for her and me (I'm new at competing, as I'm assuming you are?).

I suggest to take your pooch to a fun match, best way to gauge how he'll react when you have him in the ring. I try my hardest to make it to as many as I possibly can!

This is actually my second dog to compete with my first has his CD and I had to retire him after that, but he was 2 when he earned his RN and 3 when he earned his CD. Frank just seems to be so much further along then Indy was at his age. I dont' want to push Frank too fast but then I dont' want to hold him back either

king bc mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page