Showing an unregistered dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Showing an unregistered dog.

I am in the process of speaking to a woman who rescued a 2 year old GSD female. This GSD is the result of a person who bred an AKC female GSD to an AKC Limited Registered male. So the puppy is not AKC registered.

My question is this, I obviously can't compete in AKC sanctioned shows. But can I compete in other shows? Are there many events out there where you can show an unregistered dog? Not in conformation, but in Agility, Rally, Tracking etc.

I've met the GSD and I really like her. She needs a job and I think she'd do well in Rally or even tracking. She is untrained and a handful. The offer to me is I can foster her and utilize our time training together. If she would do better in a 'pet' home then they'll search for another home for her. If she is happy in a 'working' home then I can say I'm a foster failure.

The rescue isn't a certified rescue. It is my vet clinic, who is attempting to find a good home for this dog. I have no doubt in my mind if she doesn't work out, they'll continue to look for a home for her. I'll keep her as a foster, and continue working with her to ensure she'll find a good home. But if I decide to keep her, then she is mine.

Either way I decide, I've already told them I'll keep her over the Holidays, picking her up this Sunday. I couldn't see any reason for her to be kenneled at the clinic on Christmas. Hondo has already met her and loves her. She is happy go lucky and not bothered by much.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Crowned Member

Get a PAL number from the AKC and you can participate in AKC sanctioned events. Jax has one. (agility, rally, obedience, tracking)

Other agility/rally
ASCA (Australian Shepherd but accepts all breeds for agility/rally. Not sure if they have tracking)
DOCNA - agility all breed
Old 12-15-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

REALLY! That is exciting! Are there seperate classes, or do you show shoulder to shoulder with the regularly registered dogs?

What I mean is I have 1/2 Arabians. I show at rated shows but the 1/2 Arabians have their own seperate classes. Is it the same as PAL registered dogs?

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

You are in the same classes with registered dogs. I'm not sure what would happen if you beat the registered dogs. Not sure if they get preference for wins because they are registered.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Wonderful! I always do better with a goal in mind.......

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 12-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

With the PAL you're entitled to compete in any AKC venue open to the GSD with the exception of conformation classes. Once you step in the ring you're on equal footing with all the dog's entered, regardless if they have full registration, limited registration, or a PAL/ILP number.

FWIW I was defrauded by Bruiser's breeder and he's registered with an AKC ILP number. He also has full UKC registration since I could prove that both his sire and dam are registered GSDs.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser

Last edited by arycrest; 12-15-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

Gayle - I've been told that Jax can not enter any event if there is also a conformation class and that entering a dog with a PAL number in events is dependent on whether the specific club will allow it. Is that true?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Master Member

The PAL number is for purebred dogs that for some reason do not have papers to get full registration, they can show at the same events where confirmation is showing also.
The new canine partners registration is for mixed breeds, not all shows take them, and there was a rule about mixed breeds not being in shows where confirmation was going on also

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Old 12-15-2010, 06:58 PM

My female gsd, (now passed), had an ILP which is now PAL I guess, I competed in agility, obedience, some herding with her.

We competed right along side any dog registered with AKC and other venues. No separate classes, she took High in Trials a couple of times, so having an ILP vs a straight akc reg, didn't affect anything.

The only thing we couldn't have done was compete on the world team in agility LOL,,I coulda cared less, she had over 30 agility titles, obed titled, certified in a couple things,, I say GO FOR IT!

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Old 12-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

Diane - Is it true that competing with a dog with a PAL number is dependent on whether the club allows it?

I was told by my friend who has bred and shown dogs for many, many years that dogs with PAL numbers cannot enter if that show is having conformation and it is dependent on whether the club holding the events allows them to enter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in