Help please... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Help please...

I have a year old GSD female, her name is Kiaiah (kaya) mreans rare beauty in native american. I am having trouble training her, I actually got her for personal protection, but her prey drive is just not there. I do not want to stress her out even more, so I just want to get her to be able to retrieve ball and sit stay and off leash. Does anyone have any tips?? or suggestions from pros petsmart, etc?? please let me know, thank you! kiaiah says hello!! and please help, Ill put pictures up of her soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0918dc View Post
I have a year old GSD female, her name is Kiaiah (kaya) mreans rare beauty in native american. I am having trouble training her, I actually got her for personal protection, but her prey drive is just not there. I do not want to stress her out even more, so I just want to get her to be able to retrieve ball and sit stay and off leash. Does anyone have any tips?? or suggestions from pros petsmart, etc?? please let me know, thank you! kiaiah says hello!! and please help, Ill put pictures up of her soon!!
There is no one-liner solution here. Let me first start by asking:
1) have you read a few books or watched DVDs on training.There are ones specifically for GSDs that will help
2) Have you enrolled in any puppy/dog classes ?

Abhi.

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Crowned Member

Some GSDs need to be taught how to play fetch. It's not a natural instinct for a herding breed, but some do and some don't.

The best thing to do is to get into a good group training class. There they will teach you how to train your dog. There's no way I would have done it right without feedback on everything I was doing wrong when I got my first dog.

You might find some good instructional videos on youtube. Also, the Karen Pryor clicker training website is good. http://www.clickertraining.com/store...FULNKgod6Won4Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys!!!! I love my GSD and cant wait to start training at petsmart in Jan 11 she sits stays heels and walks off leash and slowly becoming drive aggressive with her toy, I m having trouble teaching her how to fetch but with time I know it will come, thank you look forward in posting her process , thanks !!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Petsmart is not the best place for training classes. Maybe you could put your general location in your profile and ask for some suggestions of better places to train.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page