Question about spaying and CKC Obedience - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Kay

Question about spaying and CKC Obedience

I'm thinking about getting into obedience with my GSD (she's 6 mths now). When I first got her I didn't really consider competitive obedience, but after going to puppy class and working with her, I have noticed that she loves to work and is very eager to please (especially if food is involved). I too enjoy working with her. Her wait and recall are excellent, and her stay is pretty good too.

I've never done competitive obedience before, but the lady who teaches my puppy class and my breeder both compete so they'll hopefully show me the ropes.

One question I had was regarding spaying and competing. My pooch was sold on a non-breeding contract, and I never want to breed her anyway, so instead of dealing with heat cycles I want to get her spayed. Can she be fixed and still compete? Also, what age should she be spayed at? I've heard conflicting things; some say as soon as she's 6 mths, others say after she's 2 yrs because the hormones control her growth...ect.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
liv

My breeder recommended waiting as long as possible, but that we risked going through a cycle. We wanted to get it done before her first heat, so we pushed it to 10 months. She has still grown a lot since the spay - she's now almost 27" at 17 months but grew nice and slowly. I don't compete at present, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Liv

Kokoda - GSD - 31.03.09
Onyx - GSD - 05.09.09

The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there --Anonymous
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 PM

She can be fixed and still compete in the performance venues in AKC. Just not the conformation ring.

I would prefer to wait and spay after at least 2 heat cycles. I prefer for my dogs to have all their hormones while they are growing.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Kay

I don't want to interfere with her growth; I want her to get as large as she possibly can. I love the way large German Shepherds look (I know she isn't a male...but still). Her head kind of looks ...small right now, but I'm sure that will change. Her parents were both nice sized dogs.

I have no plans with the conformation ring, as long as I can compete for things like CD & CDX to start, that'll do.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 PM

The same is true with the canadian kennel club , you can trial in the performance events (obed, rally etc) but not conformation
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Knighted Member

You can compete in CKC obedience, rally-o, agility, tracking, draft, etc with a spayed dog. You cannot compete in conformation with one.

However, you can NOT compete in obedience, rally-o, agility, etc with a bitch in season. So that might be a reason TO spay in your case. They you don't have to worry about her going into heat the night before a trial.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Kay

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page