Rally Excellent - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question Rally Excellent

Gonna give it a try in 2 weeks & wondered, can you give voice commands along with hand signals ? I heard you can't clap side of leg so, wasn't sure how peppy you could get with them either ?

Honor, you do this once your are done & next dog is going in, correct ?

Any other pointers........ I will just be happy to Q at this level & a major bonus if we can get our RE ! If so, not sure with ever trying our RAE !

~Thanks~

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:25 PM

You can give voice commands and hand signals, you just can't clap your hands or pat your leg.

The rules say "Unlike in the Rally Novice and Advanced classes, in Rally Excellent, handlers are not allowed to pat their legs or clap their hands to encourage the dog. Verbal encouragement, multiple commands and/or inaudible signals using one or both arms and hands are allowed; the handler’s arms need not be maintained in any particular position at any time. Handlers may not touch their dog or make any physical corrections."

You can be asked to honor at any point - before or after you run.

Other than the two things you mentioned, it's pretty much like Rally Advanced except for the few additional exercises which I am sure you have looked at. Good luck!

Tracie
www.atlaskennels.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thumbs up

Hey, thanks for the info & fast reply ! So much better than trying to look up & read till your brain pops !

Trying to work on the extra few signs, not doing so hot on the 3 steps back while in heel........... He's kind of getting, but not 100% nice by any means.

BTW, looked at your site, NICE, but I think you need to send me your black male, out of place there with all the WGSDs......... LOL My fav are the blacks, bi-colors, & dark sables.......... Nothing against the pretty WGSDs. Seen a pretty white male at the agility trial this weekend. Like your coated white.

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LuvourGSDs; 04-19-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

Also you cannot step forward or back when doing finishes (but maybe that's in RA too?). Usually you honor once you are done but not necessarily so. The backwards heel is so hard, even 3 steps! My sheps have trouble b/c they are long bodied, even though they can do tight left pivots. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 competitors ever do a really clean backwards heel. When I did RE with Kenya she did not know that or the moving stand walk around and they were both on the course so it was not a ribbon run for us!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvourGSDs View Post
Hey, thanks for the info & fast reply ! So much better than trying to look up & read till your brain pops !

Trying to work on the extra few signs, not doing so hot on the 3 steps back while in heel........... He's kind of getting, but not 100% nice by any means.

BTW, looked at your site, NICE, but I think you need to send me your black male, out of place there with all the WGSDs......... LOL My fav are the blacks, bi-colors, & dark sables.......... Nothing against the pretty WGSDs. Seen a pretty white male at the agility trial this weekend. Like your coated white.
I hate the three steps back - my Mira and I went all the way and got her RAE (and she has a leg towards RAE2) and she she only did it correctly in competition one time for me. It's a tough one for sure.

People are always trying to steal my black dog. His mother was white, so he fits in just fine.

Tracie
www.atlaskennels.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page