OB and Rally show - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

OB and Rally show

I got my first 2 Rally legs on Eris and Argo a couple weeks ago. We have another show at the end of the month, that I would like to trial at for the last leg. I also thought about trying for our first Obedience leg. My question is.... is that too much to try and do for one show? Am I likely to have schedule conflicts? With my work schedule I am only able to trial 1 days, so thats why I would like to do it all at once.

Dianna
Argo vom Wildhaus SchH 3, AWD 1, P1, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Eris vom Wildhaus SchH 3,IPO3 P1, OAJ, OA, NF, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Isis vom Wildhaus KAB (kick-ass bitch)OB1, TR1, BH, CGC
Nova vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Knighted Member

Re: OB and Rally show

Sounds like you're doing Rally Novice and trying to start the CD? And you going to do it with two dogs? Check the schedule for est start times and ring locations. If it appears to be conflicts, notify the tables and judges at both rings, they are usually accomodating.

Personally, I would probably stick with completing the Rally titles and doing the obedience next time (depending on availability of shows and your ability to attend). It just seems like it may be more stressful running between two rings trying to show two dogs in each-unless the start times are far apart. And I don't want to be stressed (at least any more than just going into the ring causes!) as it will not be enjoyable and the dogs will feed off of it.

If you are really good at time mgmt at a trial, then probably not a big deal.

And congratulations on the first two legs! Be sure to put up your next success in the Braggs section.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

It all depends on how much you and the dogs can do at one show. Some dogs are just getting going after one time around and others are done! I have to travel to shows so sometimes it is tempting to get as much as I can in for the investment in the trip.

Heck, sitting around is stressful to me so I have shown as many as three dogs in four rings before. That way no time to think, just pop them into crates and grab a new one and run!!

It looks like your dogs have quite a bit of training experience, so if they can hold up it is really up to you. Good luck and keep going!

Carla and The Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

You can certainly try to schedule as many classes as you can. Most of the time if you seem to have a conflict with classes - you can go to the ring steward and they will work with you to reduce/eliminat e the conflict so you can show in both classes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Maybe what I will do is Rally with both dogs, and CD with just Eris. She is ALWAYS ready to go lol. Argo is starting to slow down a bit, so might be safe to hold off.

Dianna
Argo vom Wildhaus SchH 3, AWD 1, P1, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Eris vom Wildhaus SchH 3,IPO3 P1, OAJ, OA, NF, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Isis vom Wildhaus KAB (kick-ass bitch)OB1, TR1, BH, CGC
Nova vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

I worked Arwen in the Obedience ring and Tori in the Rally ring at the same show twice. It made me a basket case the one time as it was an all breed show and they were doing obedience and rally at the same moment. The rings were next to each other, but even so, unless you are done in the rally ring when you are doing sits and downs in obedience, if they call you, and you do not show with your dog, then you lose your entry fee.

At the specialty, they had one judge for obedience and rally and that was just fine.

Any time you are working more than one dog or doing more than one event it puts more stress on what should be a fun thing. We do it because it costs money to drive to shows, and enter, take off work, have a meal afterwards and the whole nine yards.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Knighted Member

Rally is so easy that it's like a warm-up, so I haven't found that it's a problem having rally and novice obedience at the same show. If your dog is ready for novice obedience then it will probably be fine. The only real problem is the stress on you and how it will affect the dogs.

I've shown in novice, open and utility all at the same obedience trial several times (three different dogs). It was a scramble at times, but we got it done. Even with Khana (chow), I finished her excellent rally title and got her first two legs of her CD in one weekend at an outdoor show. The only real problem was that it was POURING RAIN .. *L* .. but she did fine. Her rally performances were very nice (two firsts to finish her RE) and her obedience runs were less than stellar, but we still managed to pull off a placing AND we stayed out of the 170's!

Some of my dogs have not had the energy for two classes at the same show, but the only way you really figure that out is to give it a try. If you find your dog just poops out, then next time you don't waste the entry fee. But when you have limited time to trial (especially if you have to travel) then it's great if you can enter more than one class.

Good luck, and congrats on the new legs!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page