DUH! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

DUH!

I had a "DUH" moment today while laying in bed sick with the flu..

Get excited about training "heel".

I always try to teach "heel" when Stark is more relaxed or tired, thinking I can get better focus - I was wrong - dead wrong.

I need him ampted up..

I know we have a LONG way to go still but this is an improvement and I am very excited about this.

In between "heel's" I would run around the house playing chase with him. He LOVES to chase or be chased so this was a perfect opportunity to get him to focus on me - DUH! - it worked.

He was looking at me, I had good focus (even with a cat meowing in the background because he got locked in the cat room) and he even seemed a little excited about "working".

Anyways, critique please - this is the first session today and I will be working on it some more today when I feel better.

If someone can help me with what I am suppose to be doing (body language - voice cues - whatever else, please do so! I need help!

Our trainer is still off and so I am going about this on my own right now.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

Re: DUH!

I think it looks good, better than Dakota and I are doing. I will be watching for advice so I can steal some for myself. Hope you feel better!

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks.

I have been trying and trying and trying to figure out how to get him to focus while heel and nothing I have been doing is working.

I was getting really fustrated and so took a step back for a few days (having the flu helped with this.. lol).

I know we have a long, long, long way to go.. but it's a start.. lol.

XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

much more interest from Stark now

I know you said he's not very food motivated but what are you feeding in that video? you want something where there's no 'chew' involved & I assume he dropped or missed a couple of treats (when he drops his head to the floor)? or he just thinks this may've happened

Hope your trainer feels better soon - too bad she doesn't have a friend that can take over a couple of classes.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

I agree, i seem to have a problem with him not understanding I think. He either tried to literally eat my hand, or falls behind. We have class tonight and I will definitely ask for a solution there. At least you have the head tilt, I love that. You have the same long hallway as me ( not identical, but straight and long). Also... I saw the video of you and him with the step stool, were you trying to get him all the way on it? lol That would be a sight to see

p.s. reffering to the hallway, I meant it was good for teaching heel and things of the sort (like when puppies sit, they aren't supposed to stick their butts to the side)

-Kira

Fur Family:
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I was using bacon for the treats today - first time I used them - not really liking them. Maybe if they were smaller? I dunno.

As for the step stool video? Which on? In my agility class we have a comptition as to who can get their dog to put all 4 feet on the step stool... hmmm... yeah.. okay.. I tried, not going to happen.. lol. Not yet anyways.

We were doing perch work and I thought - let's try it.. lol.

XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Elite Member

Yeah, right after I asked you I saw the name of the video up on the URL bar thingy (technical term) and went DUH!! I'm so ditsy sometimes. lol

-Kira

Fur Family:
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Knighted Member

I think Stark looks really good! My only suggestion would be to reward him while he is heeling so he understands that's what you are paying him for. Right now you mark/reward at sit. That might be a little confusing to him. He might think the heeling part is just what he has to do to get to the sitting part and the sit is the exercise.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Jason!

I totally didn't realize I was doing that!

OMG!

And when I ask for "fuss" he always come to my side and wants to sit........ what the heck was I thinking?!?!?!

Handler error - big time!!!

XX z Weberhaus
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Yeah go for teeny tiny bits (unless it's something he's going to just inhale) - soft is usually 'better'.

re all 4 feet on the box/perch, it's alot easier with a dog that is super focused on whatever the lure is (squeakie, ball, food etc) - once you get that focus breakthrough with Stark, the rest will fall into place alot easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page