Ike Doodling for Dinner [Video] - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Ike Doodling for Dinner [Video]

This is a video of Ike doodling for dinner last night. Mostly attention and a little bit of puppy heeling. I noticed a few things watching the video myself: (1) probably should put his food bowel somewhere else, (2) he knows 2 way attention but not 1 way so I need to work more on getting him to watch me from the side. Like Elisabeth, I'm posting this to see if I can get some feedback and pointers on how to do this better. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK7vNlOdjvk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Ike Doodling for Dinner [Video]

He's got a lot of enthusiasm that's for sure!

What does 2 way attention mean to you? I've not heard that before..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Elite Member

I have never seen anything like this demonstrated before, absolutely amazing! Just goes to show you I'm really behind in learning training techniques. Thank you for sharing this.

Please tell me, is there a specific reason for doing this in the hallway related to the training?

Wonder if it's to late to try it on my two? I *love* that step / stop / sit / step / stop / sit like a little furry robot! And he barely ever takes his eyes off you!

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
German Shepherd Dog Blog

• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Knighted Member

That was excellent!! Waiting for the answer also what is 2-way attention exactly? also what are your commands voice commands your using? I hear you say Yes when he does what you want.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Leesa, by 2 way attention I just meant when Ike wants to look at my whole face, in other words, when he wants full eye contact from me instead of just looking at the side of my face (without eye contact from me). You see in the beginning when we are just going attention work if I take a step sometimes he will take 1 1/2 step and then cranck his head 180 to look at my face.

Deb, the hallway is there to prevent Ike from swinging his butt out when we heel. If there is no barrier, that's what he will most definitely do.

Heidi, I'm not saying anything at this point in his training. He is too cranked up in drive and puppy stupidness at this stage to hear me anyway I'm thinking of starting to add commands in another week or two.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Crowned Member

Very nice Jason!

Carolina Johnson

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quoteeb, the hallway is there to prevent Ike from swinging his butt out when we heel. If there is no barrier, that's what he will most definitely do.
This is what I'm having to do with one of the dogs I'm working with on heeling.. He's wanting to do the same thing with his hind end.. So I've been using the wall at my training facility, the fence in my yard or at the tennis court.. I will start gradually moving away from the barriers..

Ideally I want full eye contact from the dog and teach that right from the beginning.. In the early stages of focus work I heavily reward the dog any time he looks at me.. I also mark it with my marker word letting the dog know that's exactly what I want and that's what will get him the reward.. Once you teach the dog that looking into your eyes gets him what he wants, food and r a toy the rest is easy..

After I've taught the dog to sit.. I will step into basic position and ask for attention their.. That's when "I" start marking the behavior with my command word.. ie fuss.. gradually building the time I ask for attention.. so now when I tell this pup to fuss he whips his head up looking me in my eyes.. then I go into proofing w/mild distractions.. Does that make sense?

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Leesa,

What about stand and down? Do you wait until you get eye contact and then mark? In other words, let's say once the pup understands what platz means (or at least he is getting the hand signal), do you now wait for him to look up at you from the down position before you mark/reward? Obviously with sit, the pup will take the position and most likely look up (since that's where the reward comes from, above his head). With the down, sometimes Ike will just stare at the ground because that's where I have been feeding him to stablize the position (and from that position, if I do ask for eye contact, sometimes he will break position). Does that make sense?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, Ike is doing nicely on his attention! I have a cat who always has something to say about dog obedience too!!

Carla and The Pack
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Crowned Member

He's at my very favorite age - about 4 months. All feet and ears and chunky legs, but so willing to learn. Very nice job you're doing with him, Jason. He's not only gorgeous, but I have a feeling he's going to be a very accomplished adult.

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page