False Alerts - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

@DavidWinners - very true. My challenges of max not liking other dogs had some benefits in working through my stress with working in a class room filled with other dogs- off leash with a xpen used as a separation of the room from the start. Max never skipped a beat and he not once paid any attention to the dogs loose or on leash while working. A lot of trust was formed with this while working. Except for Walking to starting line and when we were done and walking back to our seat I had to be on alert. I have done no trials just ort’s but a nervous wreck waiting between each ort In the car was painfully nervous mixed with incredible excitement after each ort then more nerves. I felt confident though and had no doubt as we when doing the ort.

Some good places I practiced at - near shooting ranges, abandoned barns - ( not alone but has the creepy effect) Home Depot with crazy machines going all the time, boating docks. Outside a dog park, restaurants, trains station.
David Winners and car2ner like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-05-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:05 PM

this podcast episode has some nice tips about nose work, and some interesting stories. Just be aware that there are plenty of "f-bombs" if you are listening with young kiddos.

Episode 68: Talking Scents with Cameron Ford HITS Double Drop! ? Working Dog Radio

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
this podcast episode has some nice tips about nose work, and some interesting stories. Just be aware that there are plenty of "f-bombs" if you are listening with young kiddos.

Episode 68: Talking Scents with Cameron Ford HITS Double Drop! ? Working Dog
Radio
I will be checking this out! Thanks for posting this link!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I think her alerting issues are mainly because of handler errors in training. I was sometimes rewarding the eye contact because I was taking it as a cue from her that she found the hide, but she seems to do better when I am not rewarding her for that but instead rewarding her for having her nose on the hide and giving her jackpots of treats when she's doing a down with nose on the hide. I am now being more careful to time the rewards accurately. Also did the blind hide thing. She's already doing much better and using her nose more since I stopped rewarding the eye contact and instead rewarding a lot for focus on the hide. No false alerts today.
car2ner likes this.

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page