Long Haired Intact Male GSD in Connecticut - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Master Member

This thread breaks my heart. So sorry for your situation.
KimJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

I had a veterinarian and staff /(a big man vet assistant and a woman) manhandle a 8 week old puppy who we only had for 2 days. The vet felt they had to teach this puppy manners evidently and should be disciplined for being nervous- took him in the back to crate him because he was whining real loudly. The puppy was not even acting out was just nervous and whining as there was a lot of construction going outside the building, did not like car rides at the time, the smell of the vets office, and they just quicked him, and obviously their energy. The vet told my kids “who do you like better the puppy or Bella. Bella was perfect you must really miss her ” (bella our previous dog who passed)was just in shock as we just placed a kitten we found and took care to the vet tech a few months prior” we were long time clients. I was dangerously glaring out her and all my focus keeping my composure as this visit was supposed to by fun turned into just an awful experience. A complete opposite experience when he was seen by another vet- calm actually fell asleep waiting to be seen. I was glad he did not seem unphased by that awful first time puppy vet visit. It was traumatizing for me. There are professionals out there who are just not comfortable with the breed. Their judgment or previous experiences get in the way with of what is in front of them-which tells me their skill level. I’m all for second , third opinions and recommendations.I think it is good to find a local Ipo club for evaluations , advise and possibly some other connections of that are willing to help and flexible during financial struggles. a big decision and advise should be from hands on skilled reputable professionals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 10-10-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

(See above for baby Silas picture. Couldn't figure out how to edit and add it here after I posted.)

Ugh, sorry for delay, been one danged thing after another healthwise! Anyway, I'll try to answer some questions (and thanks again everyone for weighing in):

1. The bite was not "horrible," did not need stitches but did break the skin. He only bit that one nightmare of a "trainer," and lunged at vet tech but did not make contact.
2. Yes, he spends WAY TOO MUCH TIME alone and with little exercise other than playing fetch with me in his fenced in area of yard off the porch. I own that 100% - my fault. I am afraid to take him out, which of course, he may sense. In public, I have to be 100% vigilant for people (obviously), dogs (he freaks out) cars (he lunges at them). It's no picnic and I can only barely control him. I am also - embarrassed to admit but we're talking about his life not my stupid pride - afraid of him when he's in his "wild" modes. In the past, he had lept and snapped at my clothing when out, but this was a good year and a half ago when he was still a puppy. My first Shep did this also but outgrew it. Could be he has too but I don't know. I am also afraid of him when (see .3)
3. Overall, he is good with me and my son. No aggression EXCEPT possibly when I leave the house. He flips out. Begins with him staring at and barking at my purse (which I pick up when I leave, obviously he associates me leaving with the purse.) From there he jumps, spins and circles while barking wildly. When I walk to the door, USUALLY he runs ahead and jumps into a window seat in the living room to watch me leave. He stops barking the second I am out of his sight. I say "USUALLY" because in the past 2 weeks he has jumped and snapped at me when I leave. No contact. Yet.
4. He has appt at vet on Oct 30. Going to discontinue the Prozac, hopefully get him his rabies shot and heartworm bloodtest. He will be muzzled. We will see how this goes.
5. Ideally, I would just like to see him re-homed to someone who will appreciate his "special needs" and work with him. And love him. He can be so sweet sometimes and just loves his toys and will play fetch all day long. I too am a horse person - in the horse world, we have a phrase "out horsed" when someone is riding a horse too much/strong for them. With Silas, I am "out dogged." He is too much for me and deserves so much better. Thanks again.

EDIT: found the post I wrote about him at 7 months with vet, if anyone is interested: https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ml#post8679466

Last edited by KimJ; 10-16-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

My poor Silas as puppy. Just ... because.
Attached Images

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Master Member

I'm the last one here to jump on the rehome bandwagon but.....Silas needs a leader...someone he can respect....I hope for his sake you can find him that "someone"....luck to you and Silas....
Jax08, MineAreWorkingline and KimJ like this.

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member

No shame in admitting you're "out dogged". Some dogs just require strong leadership, and that's not everyone's cup of tea. Best of luck finding him a good home, he doesn't sound to me like he's a bad dog...and he is handsome!
Aly and MineAreWorkingline like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page