Wi, 9th month male - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkculs View Post
Thanks; I haven't come across these yet. I will contact them.

I'm contacting any rescue I can find online or on FB. Some don't have working emails or phone numbers or the FB page last had activity 4 years ago, things like that. All suggestions are welcome. I guess the only limitation is that I need to be able to get there and back in the course of a weekend.
No, y0u don't. The rescue can set up an evaluation through volunteers from other rescues. Then they set up a transport.
mkculs likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
No, y0u don't. The rescue can set up an evaluation through volunteers from other rescues. Then they set up a transport.
I knew that for some, but I didn't realize it was the common practice. Cool.

I've emailed and called at least 20 groups and will branch into some states a bit farther away, then.

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Update: so far I haven't had a positive response from a GSD rescue in the Midwest or Southeast (not that I have necessarily found all of them, but I've tried a lot).

The good news. My adult son has had to move home for health-related reasons and he is interested in working with Jett. This takes off some of the pressure to place him in the next couple of weeks. I'm not sure how long my son's health will allow him to be actively involved but it does give me some breathing space.

Obviously, my son is my primary concern. It is lovely, though, that right now, Jett is a positive influence in his life. If they can help each other, how wonderful.
Heartandsoul and Sabis mom like this.

Maureen
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkculs View Post
Update: so far I haven't had a positive response from a GSD rescue in the Midwest or Southeast (not that I have necessarily found all of them, but I've tried a lot).

The good news. My adult son has had to move home for health-related reasons and he is interested in working with Jett. This takes off some of the pressure to place him in the next couple of weeks. I'm not sure how long my son's health will allow him to be actively involved but it does give me some breathing space.

Obviously, my son is my primary concern. It is lovely, though, that right now, Jett is a positive influence in his life. If they can help each other, how wonderful.
That's a great update! I was just thinking about you last night and wondering.
I hope your sons health improves and I hope some time to breathe gives you a bit of a break from the stress.
There is always a sunny day coming.
ksotto333 and mkculs like this.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Sabis mom, I hope you are right. This is one of the most difficult times I've ever faced. I hope I am due for a bit of a "break" soon.
ksotto333 likes this.

Maureen
Madison, WI
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 AM
Elite Member

it is quite the update reading. The two situations that are causing justifiable stress coming together and seemingly alleviating it. I hope that continues for you and that your son's health improves.
mkculs likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

With all three of my adult/teen kids home, I decided we could try the dog park again--especially b/c Jett only quietly and briefly growled at a neighbor gardening 3 yards away when I walked him this morning (meds doing their thing?) Not so long ago, he would have been in ballistic mode at the site of that.

What a great experience for all of us. Both dogs were so happy to be out and about, and Jett did so well with all the other dogs and people. After a little barking on the way in (on leash), he rushed a dog or two but not overly aggressively--he just doesn't really know how to greet. Both barked at him and he turned away but clearly wasn't terrified or traumatized. He had a number of interactions with other dogs and people -- and PEOPLE--without incident. One dog was growly at him and he just moved away. He mostly follows our other dog, Radar. Radar is obsessed with getting the tennis ball and ignores everyone and everything else. So Radar follows the ball and Jett follows Radar. Both stayed within easy range of us.

Jett appeared to begin to get the idea that he could approach other dogs in a more circular manner; not positive about this, but I observed him do it twice so maybe the idea is beginning to sink in. I was really proud and very relieved that it was such a fun experience all around. Even the short time on leash back to the car was better than it has ever been on leash before (not great, but some breaks in the barking-at-other dogs, which never happened before).

I know dog parks are controversial. I know bad things can happen. But being able to see that Jett is not aggressive in the dog park and he could go up to a couple of people, let them pet him briefly--no aggression, just a bit curious and then off and away after Radar--well, this is such a relief. He had never been aggressive in the DP before but was more barky at times, and my son who has done the DP with us in the past noted the difference, too, so it wasn't just me.

Both dogs got in the lake and are now wet, stinky, and tired.

We have a long road ahead and whether or not we are up to the challenge is still to be determined. My oldest son's health will be a major piece of this puzzle. Having a dog who might be aggressive to visitors and continues to be leash reactive is a serious on-going issue (that a muzzle will help a LOT with). But it is definitely so nice to see him act like a normal dog and enjoy the freedom he did today.
Sabis mom likes this.

Maureen
Madison, WI
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Crowned Member

Such a nice update. I am happy for you that you had a good day.
Have you been using the muzzle and meds? One of the things I noticed with Shadow was that when she was muzzled on walks I relaxed more and in response so did she. She was never really aggressive though, just afraid and likely to snap at people.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

We are muzzle training and definitely using meds. I believe they may be helping, but he's always been fine in open spaces. His "distance to reacting" is much shorter lately, though--and that must be the meds.

Our strategy has been to avoid everyone and everything on walks, which means limiting where we can go and when. Knowing the dog park is still an option is a huge relief. I was too worried to take him by myself so we hadn't gone in a long time.

It is just such a great feeling, watching him be "normal" for a while.

It doesn't hurt that my son is home where I can help him, too.
Sabis mom likes this.

Maureen
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page