6 Month Old Puppy Czech/DDR Lineage Needs Re-Home - Experienced Only - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

6 Month Old Puppy Czech/DDR Lineage Needs Re-Home - Experienced Only

Please - no judgments! We purchased a puppy from a breeder in Aug. He was four months old at the time, is almost 7 months now. Breeder had many positive reviews and we rushed into a purchase without doing the proper research on the breeder (dumb I know, but first purchase, first two GSDs we owned were rescues, we were grieving loss of our 9 yr old GSD to cancer in July). Dog has Czech/DDR lineage per pedigree on sire's side with many Schutzhund titled ancestor dogs. He appears not to have been properly socialized during the critical period before we brought him home. We have been trying to teach him manners. He is very smart, and will sit on command, is house-trained, and we have been working on the leave it command. He is also crate-trained. Very food-motivated, BUT has shown aggression (no actual bites so far), snarling, growling, lunging at visitors, other dogs. He's a big dog already at 64 lbs, very handsome, playful, but also intense, restless, and very high energy. He has a high prey drive and we fear for our cats' safety. He needs someone who can establish leadership with him. We had a professional trainer with over 30 years of experience at our house for a one- on- one training session. He did not like her correcting him and he went for her throat, nipped her chin. It was a warning more than an actual intent to bite I think. Obviously he could have done real damage if he wanted to. Trainer said he needs a very select person to re-home with, and hooked me up with a contact at our local Humane Society who has successfully placed another such dog with a Shutzhund trainer. But in talking to vet yesterday, if this person will not take him or knows someone who will, he will probably be put down if we turn him over to the Humane Society. He needs a home with no children (our son is 15 and he has been okay with him), no other pets, and a very experienced handler. Help! Breeder's father has expressed interest in taking him, but I'm reluctant to send him back there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Crowned Member

Keep things calm and don't surrender him to the Humane Society or any rescue. They will either put him down or he runs a high risk to end up in the wrong home. Many don't know how to handle this type of dog. Do not fight this dog but check out NILIF treatment. Do not indulge in cuddling but kinda ignore him to make him more depended on you. Lots of play and exercise without putting pressure on him that he could fight you for. Despite her 30 years of experience as a trainer, she might not have been the right one for your dog. Look for one who knows these dogs. Where are you located? I am sure many here can help you find the resources you need or take him even.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:40 PM

Can you reach out to a schutzhund club or other sport clubs? there is a chance they might be able to get a lead on a good home for the pup.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:41 PM

Im very sorry to hear this, just seems like a trainer more experienced with aggressive dogs and more direction could help the situation but it seems like you are at your wits end. Not here at all to cast blame or judgement, but wondering how much exercise he is getting a day, both physical and mental? Have you looked into your local schutzhund club? Maybe giving him an out to put all that bent up energy and aggression to use in a more suitable environment, and you never know, if you still want to rehome maybe somewhere out there will like what they see in the dog (high drive and and a good bite are what people look for in sport dogs) and end up keeping him and titling him. If youre not 100% about the rehoming I would try a new trainer atleast one more time and stick with a schedule.
Remember at only 7 months hes still a puppy, a very big puppy, but a puppy.
tc68 and car2ner like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 03:12 PM
Elite Member

Sorry to hear but lots of GSD's are surrendered or rehomed. They can be difficult for the average owner, yours sounds very difficult. I can relate to doing your homework before buying a puppy, I gave a sick one back to a breeder and am glad now that I did. Having said that I hope you can work it out.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

There's no shame in returning him to the breeder before something more serious happens. If he ends up with the breeder's father, that's between them.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 03:33 PM

As a breeder, I would want the dog back. Please contact them and have them find the right home for the dog - this is what good breeders do!
tc68, onyx'girl, Jax08 and 5 others like this.

Lee Hanrahan

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 PM
pam

Please consider returning this pup to the breeder as soon as possible. A reputable breeder has far more appropriate contacts for placing a pup with this type of temperament than anyone else you may reach out to. Not all pups develop as expected and he obviously ended up in the wrong environment. He needs to be with an experienced handler--the sooner the better for him--before his behavior rewards itself and he escalates. Genetics can also play a huge role here. Natural aggression is breed appropriate, but some lines are known to consistently produce pups with either general inappropriate aggression or handler aggression. Some lines mature out of it and blossom in experienced hands--others grow INTO it and require lifelong management that is difficult and can become a huge liability. It will be easiest on him if he is raised from a young age by someone who understands what he is and how to deal with it. There is absolutely no shame in returning him. Sometimes even the most experienced breeder will have a pup that develops far differently than he/she expected at a very young age and fully agrees that a different placement is in the best interests of all

Good luck.

~Pam~
Kairo v Wolfstraum, BH, TR 1, ATB Halcyon v Wolfstraum
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 07:08 PM

There needs to be a proper research on buyers as well. Sounds like the breeder made a mistake placing the dog with you. Always breeders with many positive reviews from plenty of good dog people will take that dog back vs letting you kill it. The biggest hmmm flag in the post " He needs someone who can establish leadership with him." A high prey drive dog going to a cat home with a average or below working dog type owner is really a bad idea out of the gate. Correcting a dog you don't know in the dogs environment surrounded by the family on the first visit equals at least to me 30 years of sub par experience.

The dog needs a little bit more fitting home and handler it does not need to be killed because your in over your head. Give the dog back to the breeder or the breeders father unless there is real evidence the dog would be in harms way, it does not sound that way by the post. From the post most working dog people will not be challenge by this dog. Not trying to hurt your feelings calling it as I see it with the limited info presented.

Very much hope this dog makes it out alive.

JD

Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:10 PM

Fact is, 30 years of experience means little if it wasn't good experience and screen any so-called 'experts' carefully.

Pup needs to be in a new home, that much is clear. Pup sounds pretty typical of a teenage GSD. If the breeder will take him back, start there. I also hope this pup gets a second chance at life.
Nigel and tim_s_adams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page