6 Month Old Puppy Czech/DDR Lineage Needs Re-Home - Experienced Only - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

OP, how are things now? Have you made any decisions, changes? My young dog Griff (10 months old), similar type from what I get from your post, is now shaping up nicely but I too have pulled out my hair when he was your dog's age. I wondered why in the world I ever got another pup or why I didn't get a Spaniel (kinda). There were times when I wondered if I even should put my name on his papers. I have 25-ish years of pet training/trainer experience, but never dealt with a strong dog like him as my own dog. With help of other trainers, his breeder and this forum he is doing well. You have to keep an open mind and take the advice from people who have been through this. We are not out of the adolescent woods yet, but it is now more of a maintenance/reminder level of training. And yes, my name and his are on the same paper!
Take an honest look at yourself: are you up for this challenge? If yes, get to work and find a capable trainer. If no, find him a home where he can thrive. Do not pity him. He should not be put down, just because he is too much dog.
tc68 and CometDog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Perhaps if OP can post a region where they're located, people could suggest other trainers? Otherwise, I agree with returning the dog to the breeder. Do not surrender, 99.9% of local humane societies will not have any idea how to deal with a dog like that successfully.
car2ner likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:01 PM

Wolfy Dog what is NILIF treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:12 PM

I know you didn't ask me, but NILIF is 'Nothing in Life is Free'. Requiring the dog to work for everything it gets. You want to eat your dinner? Sit and look at me and be calm first, then put the food down. Want to play fetch with a ball? Sit and wait, then I'll throw it. Want this yummy treat? Make the dog do a couple sits and downs. That kind of thing. We do this with our dog for 95% of any food or treats she gets. If she doesn't bring the tennis ball back to us, we don't throw it more than once.
tc68, PghLoveGSD and wolfy dog like this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debhib View Post
Please - no judgments! We purchased a puppy from a breeder in Aug. He was four months old at the time, is almost 7 months now. Breeder had many positive reviews and we rushed into a purchase without doing the proper research on the breeder (dumb I know, but first purchase, first two GSDs we owned were rescues, we were grieving loss of our 9 yr old GSD to cancer in July). Dog has Czech/DDR lineage per pedigree on sire's side with many Schutzhund titled ancestor dogs. He appears not to have been properly socialized during the critical period before we brought him home. We have been trying to teach him manners. He is very smart, and will sit on command, is house-trained, and we have been working on the leave it command. He is also crate-trained. Very food-motivated, BUT has shown aggression (no actual bites so far), snarling, growling, lunging at visitors, other dogs. He's a big dog already at 64 lbs, very handsome, playful, but also intense, restless, and very high energy. He has a high prey drive and we fear for our cats' safety. He needs someone who can establish leadership with him. We had a professional trainer with over 30 years of experience at our house for a one- on- one training session. He did not like her correcting him and he went for her throat, nipped her chin. It was a warning more than an actual intent to bite I think. Obviously he could have done real damage if he wanted to. Trainer said he needs a very select person to re-home with, and hooked me up with a contact at our local Humane Society who has successfully placed another such dog with a Shutzhund trainer. But in talking to vet yesterday, if this person will not take him or knows someone who will, he will probably be put down if we turn him over to the Humane Society. He needs a home with no children (our son is 15 and he has been okay with him), no other pets, and a very experienced handler. Help! Breeder's father has expressed interest in taking him, but I'm reluctant to send him back there.

No judgment at all! We have a 18 month old Czech lineage that we just had in a 3 week boot camp boarding program because we could not get a handle on his dog aggression. We also got him at 4 months, which I didn't know wasn't the best thing to do. He's the toughest GSD I've had, and he's my 4th. He's kicking our butt.

Don't put stock in what that trainer said or what your dog did. Your dog was protecting you and your house. Please post where you're located. There are trainers who board and train and could help you with him if you're interested. Best of luck to you.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:21 PM

Great thank you I thought it was something along those lines but didn't know the acronym for it.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghLoveGSD View Post
No judgment at all! We have a 18 month old Czech lineage that we just had in a 3 week boot camp boarding program because we could not get a handle on his dog aggression. We also got him at 4 months, which I didn't know wasn't the best thing to do. He's the toughest GSD I've had, and he's my 4th. He's kicking our butt.

Don't put stock in what that trainer said or what your dog did. Your dog was protecting you and your house. Please post where you're located. There are trainers who board and train and could help you with him if you're interested. Best of luck to you.
I'm sorry, but I disagree that this dog was protecting the OP or their house. That is not what was happening at all. The dog was reacting to someone giving it a correction, the only thing the dog was "protecting" was himself and I would call that reacting and not protecting.

To the OP, the best course of action would be to return the dog to the breeder.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
My young dog Griff (10 months old), similar type from what I get from your post, is now shaping up nicely but I too have pulled out my hair when he was your dog's age. I wondered why in the world I ever got another pup or why I didn't get a Spaniel (kinda). There were times when I wondered if I even should put my name on his papers. I have 25-ish years of pet training/trainer experience, but never dealt with a strong dog like him as my own dog. With help of other trainers, his breeder and this forum he is doing well.
I forgot to knock on wood and forgot that adolescence is not over yet.
huntergreen likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

OP here - many months later! Did re-home with breeder's father, and the last news I heard was that he was making progress in establishing leadership. Dog was acting aggressively with him too, but he is used to this kind of behavior from his daughter's dogs. So glad I sent him back, and many thanks for all the advice. I just could not handle him and the stress he caused. I have an auto-immune disease, my 15 year old son was not interested in working with him, and my husband works long hours. We just were not the right home for him. We recently adopted a 1 year old rescue GSD who is great with our cats and super chill (for a 1 year old : ) ). Our household is so much more peaceful now! Very happy with how it worked out.
dogbyte, wolfstraum, Jax08 and 9 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page