8Likes
  • 3 Post By MidwestFarmersDaughter
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By sebrench
  • 1 Post By Orphan Heidi
  • 2 Post By MidwestFarmersDaughter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Meet our foster girl, Aria! (Raleigh-Durham, NC)

Wanted to introduce y’all to our foster dog, Aria! She’s about 18 months old, pet line, picked up as a stray by animal control. She had bad fleas, worms, very ribsy, and a nylon collar embedded in her neck. Was doing very poorly in the shelter before they called us. She has come so far!

Here’s her adoption link: https://www.apsofdurham.org/dogs/aria/. She’s a gorgeous girl, and she’s as sweet as she is pretty! Please share so we can find her the amazing home she deserves.

We're in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC, and also an easy drive from Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Burlington, and Cary.

Here’s my general assessment than I sent to the shelter (they posted only an excerpt on their website due to limited space):

She’s eager to please, food motivated, handler focused – a joy to train! Since she’s been recovering from her spay, we haven’t had tons of time to work together; but even in the limited time we’ve had, she’s come so far. She’d probably be a good “first German Shepherd” but not a good “first dog” – she needs a handler with some experience who is willing to work with her, and a training class or two would be a great idea. She’s strong. She’s really nice on a leash, doesn’t care at all if people drive by us in cars, stop and talk to us, etc. but she’s reactive when she’s leashed and she sees other dogs. In those instances, she needs someone who can control, correct, and redirect her. She’s not a hard dog, but she needs someone committed to working with her. **
She’ll also need regular exercise. She has plenty of energy but seems to have a good “off switch” for house time, crate time, etc. I think she’d be a great hiking and camping buddy. She turns heads wherever she goes. People have actually pulled over to talk to us while I’ve been walking her, remarking on how beautiful a dog she is.

She gets along well with other dogs, but I wouldn’t recommend her for families with small children – at least not without further training.
We’ve been working on house manners, learning how to “settle” and play with toys by herself when we need some space. She’s learning to sit or lay down if she wants petted, instead of bouncing around like a maniac. She’s generally content to chew a bone on the floor by our feet, but she’ll get in your face if you let her – so her adopter will need to make sure she minds her manners. She’s a happy joyful dog who loves being around people and she is learning*HOW to be around people so it’s enjoyable for everyone.*
She’s good in a crate at night and while we’re at work, and she knows to go to the bathroom outside and does it quickly (so in that regard, she’d be a good fit for someone who doesn’t have a fenced yard). She’s teachable and has learned quickly what should be chewed and played with (nylabones, balls, stuffed toys) and what shouldn’t be bothered (shoes).
I guess it all boils down to this: She is the classic “diamond in the rough.” If her adopter is willing to teach her the things she doesn’t already know, she’ll learn quickly and she’ll mature into an amazing pet. I think her potential is huge. She WANTS to please you and she listens for, and takes, direction well. She’s very attentive: all I have to do is say her name and she immediately makes eye contact and comes over to see what I want. She is really sweet and really wonderful, and she’ll make a fantastic companion for someone. Whoever owned and abandoned her lost out on a seriously great dog.

--

Thanks so much, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aria front.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	512921   Click image for larger version

Name:	aria profile.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	512923  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Knighted Member

It's great that you're willing and able to foster her! She looks like a good dog. Hopefully she'll find a permanent home soon!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

She's lovely. I hope she finds her forever home soon. Thank you for fostering her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:32 PM

What a beauty! Are you sure she's not gonna be a foster FAIL? I can tell you really like her.

Thanks for helping her out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

@Orphan Heidi, yeah, that's our fear But we will resist! She'd really do well in a home as a sole dog where the owners can devote even more time to her. I really hope we can find her a good one!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Another photo, because she's lovely and I can't resist

Available for adoption via this link: https://www.apsofdurham.org/dogs/aria/.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aria stacked in backyard 01.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	512977  
ksotto333 and MishkasMom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page