Need to rehome 8 year old white shepherd mix in Evansville, IN area - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Knighted Member

I'm shocked that not one single person has called the owner for mishandling the situation(s). Unfortunately, if the OP wants to take on a puppy, then live with it for, what was it, 6.5 yrs, without teaching it anything....and then let her 3 yr old son take the dog's toy which resulted in the first "incident" - which was not a bite but a warning - and even after that take no steps toward teaching both the dog and then kid not to do that, and then let this happen again near the dog's food bowl, while you - OP - "are 5 feet away"....I am at a loss in trying to figure out how this is the dog's fault!

But yeah, put it down...just please don't get another dog ever! Alternatively, you could actually teach the kid and the dog to interact without conflict...but again, that takes work...
Jax08 and misfits like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

Sabis mom-There are plenty rescues that there is a no with a no kid rule. Plenty. Plenty and highly touted respected whatever you want to call it. Older kids only, no toddlers etc.

Heck I know someone who adopted a dog from the north shore animal league who the dog was vetted to be a great family dog and the dog attacked her many times and they would not take the dog back. She had no choice once she try everything she could and had to put the dog down. I would not recommend them ever. I’m Getting off track.

Not every dog likes kids not every dog was raised little kids and feel comfortable around them. Have you ever adopted from the pound I have there is no known history. Truly even from rescues is the history really well known. Parents should watch their kids near any adult dog especially if the dog is not raised around little kids - especially. I would not adopt a large adult dog and trust it with my three year old with a no bite history. Three year old really boys do not listen that well. It’s why I always opted for pups. I don’t see how anyone can stand their and tell someone to put a dog to sleep and not even know the entire story. There is always more to the story even if the op has no idea what is going on- sadly. This is what you get though on an open forum - op ask yourself if this is all really helpful or just procrastinating. Do NOT put your animal to sleep for any reason just because someone told you to on the internet- yikes! I’m sure you have many option there are great secure kennels while you talk to a professional.
tc68 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 03-13-2018 at 11:23 PM.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:13 PM
Elite Member

I can only offer that I don't think that I could give my dog up to someone else. So the only thing that I could look at is either manage and bring in a behaviorist to help with management & training suggestions or euth. Knowing how protective I was when my kids were young, my choice would probably be to let him go in the most loving and peaceful way.

I'm sorry you are at this juncture.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 03-13-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 PM
Elite Member

If my dog showed aggression towards my children I would get rid of the dog... no matter whose fault or lack of training or whatever... no dog should aggressively attack a child especially not one that has actually grown up around these children. Yes you can teach a 4yr old child to stay away from the dog, but what about the new little walker... a 1yr old.. not a chance would I risk anything happening to my child.
If there is no home for the dog to go to then unfortunately it has to be put to sleep. It may well be because of a lack of supervision or training or it may be none of those things, no matter the OP has to live with her decision whatever she decides... rather a dead dog than a dead child! And it won't take much of a bite to kill a 1 yr old.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:43 PM
Knighted Member

No dog comes without risk, or without a commitment for work! It doesn't matter whether you buy a puppy from a reputable breeder, or if you rescue an older dog or puppy. You have to "teach" the dog/puppy what is, and is not, acceptable!

Or...I guess it is possible, to just let things go and then put the dog down because it didn't somehow intuitively figure out what was and what was not okay....

To me, this is not at all the dog's fault (given what we've been told). But I have a strong ZERO tolerance for dog-kid aggression. So, if the OP took reasonable steps to correct this behavior and it didn't take, OK, put him down. But if no steps to actually teach the dog were taken, I think it's wrong... Just my opinion...doesn't mean I'm right. But the dog and the kid both should have been schooled after the first incident, and the second should never have happened....
tc68 likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Sabis mom-There are plenty rescues that there is a no with a no kid rule. Plenty. Plenty and highly touted respected whatever you want to call it. Older kids only, no toddlers etc.

Heck I know someone who adopted a dog from the north shore animal league who the dog was vetted to be a great family dog and the dog attacked her many times and they would not take the dog back. She had no choice once she try everything she could and had to put the dog down. I would not recommend them ever. Iím Getting off track.

Not every dog likes kids not every dog was raised little kids and feel comfortable around them. Have you ever adopted from the pound I have there is no known history. Truly even from rescues is the history really well known. Parents should watch their kids near any adult dog especially if the dog is not raised around little kids - especially. I would not adopt a large adult dog and trust it with my three year old with a no bite history. Three year old really boys do not listen that well. Itís why I always opted for pups. I donít see how anyone can stand their and tell someone to put a dog to sleep and not even know the entire story. There is always more to the story even if the op has no idea what is going on- sadly. This is what you get though on an open forum - op ask yourself if this is all really helpful or just procrastinating. Do NOT put your animal to sleep for any reason just because someone told you to on the internet- yikes! Iím sure you have many option there are great secure kennels while you talk to a professional.

Oh my.
These people did not adopt an adult dog, they have had this dog since it was young.
Asking if I have ever adopted a dog? Funny. No actually. Mostly I had them dumped in boxes on my doorstep, tied to my fence or left in my yard. In one case tossed over my fence. Usually I keep the unadoptable ones, like Shadow. I ran a privately funded rescue, for German Shepherds, and here is a sad truth most of us learn. You can't save them all.
Here is another truth for you, it's pretty cold to take a dog from the only home and family it knows and dump it.
And here is another truth, most people value their children.

Locking this dog in a kennel will not work. Why? Because as most of us adults know, toddlers and young children stick their fingers EVERYWHERE! And move like Ninja's.

Look, I appreciate the desire to do something but you bickering isn't helping the OP. And again reputable rescues don't take bitters. It's why people lie.
tim_s_adams and CometDog like this.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:04 AM
Knighted Member

With all due respect, this dog was never taught boundaries. He needs a "come to Jesus" moment to learn that aggression toward children will not be tolerated, and I think he'll be just fine. What about this story leads people to believe this dog is anything other than a normal dog? Did I miss something?

OP, put him down if you must for your children's safety, but it wasn't the dog who failed....

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but I honestly believe that, and thought you'd prefer honesty...
Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.

Tim
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post

Heck I know someone who adopted a dog from the north shore animal league who the dog was vetted to be a great family dog and the dog attacked her many times and they would not take the dog back. She had no choice once she try everything she could and had to put the dog down. I would not recommend them ever. I’m Getting off track.

Not every dog likes kids not every dog was raised little kids and feel comfortable around them. Have you ever adopted from the pound I have there is no known history. Truly even from rescues is the history really well known. Parents should watch their kids near any adult dog especially if the dog is not raised around little kids - especially. I would not adopt a large adult dog and trust it with my three year old with a no bite history. Three year old really boys do not listen that well. It’s why I always opted for pups. I don’t see how anyone can stand their and tell someone to put a dog to sleep and not even know the entire story. There is always more to the story even if the op has no idea what is going on- sadly. This is what you get though on an open forum - op ask yourself if this is all really helpful or just procrastinating. Do NOT put your animal to sleep for any reason just because someone told you to on the internet- yikes! I’m sure you have many option there are great secure kennels while you talk to a professional.

Oh my.
These people did not adopt an adult dog, they have had this dog since it was young.
Asking if I have ever adopted a dog? Funny. No actually. Mostly I had them dumped in boxes on my doorstep, tied to my fence or left in my yard. In one case tossed over my fence. Usually I keep the unadoptable ones, like Shadow. I ran a privately funded rescue, for German Shepherds, and here is a sad truth most of us learn. You can't save them all.
Here is another truth for you, it's pretty cold to take a dog from the only home and family it knows and dump it.
And here is another truth, most people value their children.

Locking this dog in a kennel will not work. Why? Because as most of us adults know, toddlers and young children stick their fingers EVERYWHERE! And move like Ninja's.

Look, I appreciate the desire to do something but you bickering isn't helping the OP. And again reputable rescues don't take bitters. It's why people lie.
I’m not bickering you are. I’m also being really nice and sparing you many truths. I’m not asking you to appreciate anything rather it be I don’t appreciate people attemptin to pass their failures down to the op. No we can’t save them all but the owner should do herself a favor and exhaust other options from a trainer rather then on the internet. Lol! Okay so she adopted this dog as a puppy and which is 8 years old now. And she should put the dog to sleep automatically??? I also am not telling her to lock her dog forever- Either! I don’t see nothing wrong with the owner seeking professional advise. If the veterinarian felt they could find a dog a home why not investigate that option also.? Surely if the dog was uncontrollable the vet I would imagine would suggest putting the dog down since they must know the dogs history better than anyone here.
tc68 and Shane'sDad like this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 03-14-2018 at 12:19 AM.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:17 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
With all due respect, this dog was never taught boundaries. He needs a "come to Jesus" moment to learn that aggression toward children will not be tolerated, and I think he'll be just fine. What about this story leads people to believe this dog is anything other than a normal dog? Did I miss something?

OP, put him down if you must for your children's safety, but it wasn't the dog who failed....

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but I honestly believe that, and thought you'd prefer honesty...
Maybe he was never taught, maybe he rules the roost and there are no rules. They could get a trainer in, they could work hard at it but at no point would the family ever be able to relax and trust the dog around the children... why would you even risk it?

But you're making assumptions here... how do you know from the little that the OP has posted that the dog has never been taught boundries. For it to have lived with the child for 4 years with no previous incidents might actually provide evidence that up until recently it behaved around the child.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:26 AM
Knighted Member

Well let me elaborate... The OP acquired this puppy at 5 months of age. The dog lived with her and her family - without incident - until a year ago, so 6.5 years! Then her 3 yr old son attempted to take a toy away from a 7 yr old dog - who, of course, never showed a single sign of being a resource guarder ever before (hopefully you're getting my sarcasm here) - and got nipped, but without breaking the skin at all. The OP's reaction, they tried to rehome the dog until their other dog died and then changed their mind and kept him - but notice, no mention of training, no mention of working on the issue, only thing said is, over the next 10 months he seemed to get better.

Fast forward to the second incident, what could possibly go wrong letting a 4 yr old child try to take a toy near an adult dog with a resource guarding history while near his food bowl? No way that kid could get bit right? So the dog does as expected, with the OP within 5 feet, and now is condemned as an aggressive dog. It doesn't take a huge leap of faith to have predicted this outcome. And frankly, it falls on the human in charge to make sure these kinds of situations are avoided. Now, put him down? Or now teach him?
tc68, Jax08 and misfits like this.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page