2yo GSD with papers needs a good home (Raleigh, NC) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

2yo GSD with papers needs a good home (Raleigh, NC)

Hello,

Thor joined our family when he was 8 weeks old and has been a joy to have ever since. Unfortunately we now have to find a new home for him. Thor loves to play and have fun but he doesn't realize his size (110lbs) and our 1 year old daughter is easily out matched by his size. And now we have two more on the way I don't want to put him in a position where he could accidentally harm one of our kids, and it wouldn't be fair to him to always have him segregated away from the rest of us. I want him in a loving home where he gets the attention he needs and deserves. He is very smart and well behaved. He excelled in his weekly training and learned new things quickly. As I sad before he is 110lbs. Both of his parents were imported from Germany. We had him neutured just after his first birthday, I believe. I do want to make sure he is going to a good home so I will have questions for anyone interested. I read on here that it is better to ask for an adoption fee so I will at $100. The money is not important to me, I just want him in a great home. If anyone knows of another resource I can use to find him a home pease let me know as well. Here are some pictures of him

lou76384 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Have you spoken with his breeder? Most contracts specify that the breeder is first to call in situations such as this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:31 PM

Beautiful Dog

I have 5 month GSD girl and and little shi-poo. My house is quite large and have a fenced in backyard. 3 girls, if my wife would let me i would take it in a heart beat..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

You spent a lot of time working with him and you love him. Are you able to give him up that easily? I had a baby with a dog the same age as yours and managed the dog so we never had a problem. I hate to see anyone give up a beloved dog and then regret it later. You will not have a problem rehoming a trained and socialized dog. I would either go back to the breeder or find a good GSD rescue. But I would do everything I could to keep my dog first.
wolfy dog, Spetzio and cloudpump like this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think you can sell your dog on this site. I understand the money is not what is important to you, but rules are rules. I think you could probably list him under non-urgent rescue.

The dog is three years old next month. So you've had the boy for almost three years. And he isn't gentle enough for your 1 year old? You know best. I'm actually surprised. By the time the young ones are toddling this boy will be four years old, and with all the work you've put into him, he will probably be even more settled, and shepherds are notorious for being gentle and careful with little ones.

I agree with giving the dog back to the breeder. The breeder should be able to find him an appropriate home. Sad for the dog, but he will get over it.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

I've had a long week and I'm tired, so while this might sound rude, it's the truth.

You do realize that kids fall on their butts and get hurt and that's ok? Does the dog growl at children? Does he nip or mouth children? Other then being a big pup that can get excited, is he so vicious that he will kill a child?

I seriously hope he goes to a good home, but I'm also seriously disturbed at the reason he has to go. Dogs are a commitment, at the same time so are kids but millions of people have kids and dogs and make it work. Giving up a dog after a couple years because kids come along is a poor excuse. I'm sure that kids were always part of the plan?

I have one that was given up because of the same reason. All he needed was a little training. The dog is a goofball but he adores kids. In the 4 yrs I've had him he has done nothing but love every kid that he comes across. Of course I put the work into him as I do all my dogs because I know that in the near future I will have grandkids coming and going. Those kids will love and respect the dogs and vice versa. I'm so excited to have the two together in the future. I'm quite sure that a toddler will fall due to the dogs and I'm also quite sure that they understand they have to get back up and do it all over again.its a good life lesson that I have every intention to teach.
selzer, Quinnsmom, misfits and 5 others like this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

I may be reading too much into the OP's post but it sounds like they won't have time for the dog after their next babies are born. Sounds like twins? I understand being overwhelmed, but for me, a dog is part of the family. I can't imagine giving one up without terrible regrets afterwards.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:01 PM

Would love to talk to you about rehoming this handsome guy. We live outside of a small town in Texas. We have two small dogs, ages 6 and 13, that have been with us since puppies. Our GS died a few years ago at 16 years old. Our children are grown. We would be interested in traveling to meet this handsome guy.
squerly likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:19 AM
Crowned Member

OP, your dog is beautiful. You have to do what is right for your family and what is right for your dog. If after careful consideration, you feel it best to give him up, please find him the best possible forever home. I completely understand the feeling of being overwhelmed. We have all been there. I just want to weigh in, on what others have said.

I agree with llombardo. Kids are very resilient and pretty tough. Many of us have raised kids and large dogs. I brought a 2 year old GSD directly from the shelter, into my home with my three kids. (Crazy, I know.) My youngest child was 2 years old - and had birth defect. That dog adored my kids. She was so careful around my 2 year old and never once knocked him down - even though she was somewhat clumsy, under normal circumstances. As Selzer stated, I too am surprised that your dog would not be gentle enough. Unless he shows any dislike toward children, his size would not be much of a concern to me.

Children and dogs always need to be carefully monitored. I don't think he would always have to be segregated, but I don't think it would kill him to spend some time confined to another area. Sometimes things aren't optimal. A few years ago, my elderly mother had a medical emergency and needed to move into my house. My large dog, Shelby, was about 6 months old. She was very sweet, but she was a big baby with a lot of energy. It was a risk that she could cause my mother to fall. I frequently confined Shelby to the kitchen and sometimes crated her. I did not have much time to play with her and training fell to the wayside. It was totally unfair to Shelby. Perhaps I was selfish, but I never once considered giving her up. Sure it sucked and sure I wish things could have been different. It was, what it was. Shelby survived. My mother was able to go back home after a few months. I could not have rehomed Shelby.

You have a beautiful adult dog, who looks to have some nice training on him. I found an adult dog and children to be much easier than a puppy and children. (Potty training kids and housebreaking a puppy.) No way. Your kids and dog will both mature and things will get easier and not so overwhelming. You let this dog go - when is the right time to get another dog? Wait until the kids are how old? But then if you have more kids - wait some more? Or never have a dog again? There will probably never be a good time. (That's what I told my daughter about getting a horse.) All I'm saying, if you really love this dog, and want a dog, don't let go of the best option you have for a dog with your kids. Think about it.
selzer, LuvShepherds and wolfy dog like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 02:00 AM
Crowned Member

best wishes for you and your growing family.

there is a party on this forum looking for a trained young adult . This dog could be ideal for them. This poster divenvy

looks like you have done a terrific job with this dog . all the best

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page