2yo GSD with papers needs a good home (Raleigh, NC) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsontheGSD View Post
Did you find a good hone for Thor...or perhaps decide to keep him? We had Trouble when our first (and second) were born. She was 104 pounds and had never really been around kids. We were very worried. There were a few times where iur youngest was inadvertently bumped down, but in the end we would all tell you he was definitely better off having her than not.
No, I'm still trying to find him a home. Not getting any local interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:14 PM

Is he still available? Is he good with other dogs?
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 02:27 AM
Master Member

Hi from chapel hill

We live in chapel hill and are planning to adopt a Shepherd or shepherd mix soon. we love this breed for many reasons. We are kind, responsible people (our kids age 12 and 17 have survived ) but we are newbie dog owners. So we hope to find a calm housebroken dog who knows the ropes and will teach us what to do. ;-)

Thor is pedigreed and highly-trained, I think he can do better than us! I would recommend GSRA ( German shepherd rescue and adoption). I have visited their Facebook and website, they seem to place a lot of GSDs in nice homes. They also have courtesy postings ( you can list your dog without putting him in a foster home). We went to one of their events in Cary - nice people, nice dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltshaker View Post
Is he still available? Is he good with other dogs?
It seems hit or miss at times. He never had any issues at training with the other dogs or when our friends with their own GSD watched him. However there have been times where he doesn't care for a particular dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
We live in chapel hill and are planning to adopt a Shepherd or shepherd mix soon. we love this breed for many reasons. We are kind, responsible people (our kids age 12 and 17 have survived ) but we are newbie dog owners. So we hope to find a calm housebroken dog who knows the ropes and will teach us what to do. ;-)

Thor is pedigreed and highly-trained, I think he can do better than us! I would recommend GSRA ( German shepherd rescue and adoption). I have visited their Facebook and website, they seem to place a lot of GSDs in nice homes. They also have courtesy postings ( you can list your dog without putting him in a foster home). We went to one of their events in Cary - nice people, nice dogs.
Thanks for the info
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 05:26 PM

No offense but I'll share a personal story here that'll let you know my take on this:

We got a rambunctious lab pup when I was 2 going on 3, she settled into a perfect English lab around 4-5 (retrieving machine but a moveable furry ottoman in the house).

Dog knocked me on my a** plenty from tail swipes alone much less bumps during play, drug me around on tile playing tug, and would even sit on me when I wouldn't stop harassing her (she couldn't bear to hurt any of us so that was her non violent solution ).

My parents didn't give her away because unless I was bleeding or unconscious my mom wasn't going to even bother looking at my injury (my parents didn't raise any wussies) and they took their commitments to another living creature seriously.

If they had it would have been the worst decision they'd ever made, smartest most loving & the perfect amount of protective dog you could ever ask for, I'll be thrilled if my new pup is half the dog she was, it's getting a little dusty in here just typing this .

Anyways that dog helped teach me patience, kindness, love, responsibility, and toughness. But you know if you want to take away your kids childhood dog and be a safety obsessed helicopter parent, by all means knock yourself out and send him on to a home that won't abandon him at the first hiccup.

Last edited by Tennessee; 06-08-2017 at 05:29 PM.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
No offense but I'll share a personal story here that'll let you know my take on this:

We got a rambunctious lab pup when I was 2 going on 3, she settled into a perfect English lab around 4-5 (retrieving machine but a moveable furry ottoman in the house).

Dog knocked me on my a** plenty from tail swipes alone much less bumps during play, drug me around on tile playing tug, and would even sit on me when I wouldn't stop harassing her (she couldn't bear to hurt any of us so that was her non violent solution ).

My parents didn't give her away because unless I was bleeding or unconscious my mom wasn't going to even bother looking at my injury (my parents didn't raise any wussies) and they took their commitments to another living creature seriously.

If they had it would have been the worst decision they'd ever made, smartest most loving & the perfect amount of protective dog you could ever ask for, I'll be thrilled if my new pup is half the dog she was, it's getting a little dusty in here just typing this .

Anyways that dog helped teach me patience, kindness, love, responsibility, and toughness. But you know if you want to take away your kids childhood dog and be a safety obsessed helicopter parent, by all means knock yourself out and send him on to a home that won't abandon him at the first hiccup.

Um, you didn't write this to me, and I'm still offended. At least you deleted the last paragraph you had written. None of us knows this family's specific circumstances and they don't have to relay every tiny tidbit about their life. They came to a painful decision to find a new home for their boy, and they are taking care to find a good one. It doesn't mean they are helicopter parents, but conscientious ones that are doing what they believe best for their family.
wolfy dog likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
Um, you didn't write this to me, and I'm still offended. At least you deleted the last paragraph you had written. None of us knows this family's specific circumstances and they don't have to relay every tiny tidbit about their life. They came to a painful decision to find a new home for their boy, and they are taking care to find a good one. It doesn't mean they are helicopter parents, but conscientious ones that are doing what they believe best for their family.
Im not gonna bicker in his thread with you, but I really don't give a crap if you're offended for somebody else.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Elite Member

mgrande, I would offer my home in a heartbeat if I lived closer and did not have my boy. No judgement here as it is obvious that you have put a lot of love and time into your boy. I personally respect the fact that yours and your wife's decision is based on the protective instincts for your children.

I truely hope that you soon find a great home for him.
ksotto333 likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 PM

Please,let's stick to the original topic.Helpful ideas and resources to find this dog a new home.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 12:22 AM
Crowned Member

Tennessee, I know you mean well. But I find that most of the time once people make the decision that the dog needs a new home, the dog is better off in a new home. Beyond an effort to describe experience with large dogs and kids, we really should focus on helping the lady re-home the dog.

Because another sad thing is that, once the decision is made to re-home the dog, sometimes people kind of divorce themselves from the dog, probably in some unconscious attempt to protect themselves emotionally. When this happens, dogs can wind up in shelters or even abandoned.

Who knows what I would do if i was pregnant with twins and had a baby already. If, my momma-bear hormones kicked in, anything that might harm my babies would have to go.

A lot of times twins are born early and under-weight. Sometimes they have to be hospitalized for a while. When babies are in the NICU, mothers spend almost all their waking hours there.

We don't know what the situation is, or what it is going to be, making tough decisions now, so that she doesn't have to throw the dog on Craig's list or dump it in a shelter is probably a mature and responsible thing to do.

The dog will get over the change in ownership faster than the owner.

There are plenty of crappy reasons to rehome a dog or to dump a dog. This isn't one of them.

We always say, never leave a dog unsupervised with a child. Well that may be well and good if you have one. You can put the dog in a crate when you use the bathroom, or if you are cooking dinner. The rest of the time you are chasing your baby 24/7 and it is never "alone with the dog." But if you have three babies all running in different directions, the poor dog would have to be crated constantly.

Really, I can only judge for myself what is going to be too much for me. None of us can judge for others what is too much for them.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 06-09-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page