Older Couple In Ontario Wants Adult GSD - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:12 PM

You are right Sunsilver, even 5 years ago there were tons of GSDs available but it seems that it has changed a lot. In fact our local humane society often has no dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Master Member

This sweet senior girl showed up on my FB feed twice last week. https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37300876/
She really tugs at my heartstrings and sounds like a good candidate for adoption which I'm not in a position to do at this time. Might be worth checking in to.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Have a look a kijiji, although it is a seller based thing, shelters and people who need to re-home their dogs are using it too. I was just looking and there are a few pups that might work for your couple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker's mom View Post
You are right Sunsilver, even 5 years ago there were tons of GSDs available but it seems that it has changed a lot. In fact our local humane society often has no dogs
W-O-W. Is there any chance they might be interested in importing from US shelters where good dogs still die in droves for lack of space? A lot of shelters down here are partnering for transport to get dogs to places where there's more demand than supply.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
A lot of shelters down here are partnering for transport to get dogs to places where there's more demand than supply.
Great idea...the worst they can say is no. Also contact shepherd clubs here and in Canada...they might know folks who need to rehome and aren't going the shelter route.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 03:53 PM

Maybe I have just been very lucky but the two GSD's I have were both from a wanted post I put up on a popular free classifieds site. I got an overwhelming amount of responses from owners looking to rehome adult GSD's. My post was specific, mentioned the aprox. age I was looking for, a bit about my myself, that I own a house/property, fenced yard etc. I didn't mention price and ended up paying $250 for one, $100 for the other.

I realize the risk involved and would not knowingly support a BYB but these were adult dogs 2-3 years of age that needed homes. If you do post an ad like that you will be contacted by a lot of lower end breeders trying to sell you a puppy but its easy to filter the junk responses. People with nice dogs looking for a nice home will be happy to provide details, pics, and answer questions.

These are my two from classified sites.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

In our area, CL is more reliable than the rescues and shelters.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 PM
Knighted Member

Here's something in Ontario. Sadie is 6, in good health and the group is sponsoring her is offering vet care and 5 months of dog food. Sadie does have a son, though, and the two have been together their whole life and cannot be separated. There living conditions right now are not good, so they do need a good home.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37614457
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 PM

I saw her earlier and she is a cutie, as is her son.

Magwort, there are rescues (not breed specific) doing that already. They are also bringing them here from overseas! I saw a shepherdx looking pup today online that was from Greece.

Our local humane society got a plane full of dogs from northern communities where dogs are not typically fixed. A line up was at the shelter the morning they were being released for adoption and they were gone in the first hour or so.

There are still lots of personal ads from people wanting to rehome their dogs. Most of the shepherds I saw are young trouble makers and not suitable, but I did see a few older pups that might be perfect.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnsmom View Post
This sweet senior girl showed up on my FB feed twice last week. https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37300876/
She really tugs at my heartstrings and sounds like a good candidate for adoption which I'm not in a position to do at this time. Might be worth checking in to.
I saw that dog on FB, and her sad expression melted my heart! Unfortunately, the couple went with my friend's 2 year old female, and they are madly in love with her already.

She will play fetch with them for as long as they are willing to keep throwing the ball!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page