GSD+bikejoring competitions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

GSD+bikejoring competitions

Hi! I love dedicating my free time to my dogs. I'm also a mountain bike racer since I was 14 years old and am able to win a lot of competitions a year. I have speed, endurance and skills. It's winter and this is the off season so I try to keep in shape with some fitness, hiking and running. I also ride my bike early in the morning when there is almost anyone in the park. Not long ago I started to take my female GSD with me. She trots off leash and is having fun. She becomes better and better. The longest ride I have taken her is 10km and she is happy with that. This morning she ran about 5km. I haven't put her in a harness but she has learned the directions, when to start running and stop, when to slow down and go faster. I started to encourage her to run in front of me on the narrow snow paths in the park or on the pavement. She is pretty well trained because she goes to Sch classes and we don't have any problems with distractions.
I'm planning to put her in a bikejoring harness and take her to the first bikejoring competition in my country in early March. It's not far away from where we are and she doesn't need to travel 300km which would be exhausting.
Bikejoring is popular only to husky owners here. I found all the results from last year's bikejoring competitions and there were only huskies and one malinois. However there is a girl with a Sch malinois who I know who won a canicross competition but she went only once to such race.
I don't expect my GSD to pull me at all but she has to be in a harness atached to the bike. I think she would be able to save more energy when she doesn't need to pull me and will do better. The competitions here aren't prestigious at all, there isn't even one person out there who knows what he's doing when getting on the bike...but they have huskies.
I haven't own a husky running machine and I don't know how a trained husky could run. I think that my GSD and I are fast. When I take my girl with me on a trail running we outrun people with huskies who do canicross uphill and downhill.
So do you do bikejoring with your GSDs? Have you entered any competitions and which is more important:your skills and endurance+the training of the dog or the dog? Can you compare a fit GSD to a fit husky? If I attend such competition I must be sure that I won't be the slowest one?
My girl runs with the bike in the morning and now 5 times a week goes to Sch classes, 2 times a week we go trail running for about 10-15km. She is always ready for action.

Last edited by dolf; 01-23-2017 at 04:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 AM
Crowned Member

Don't think I can be of much I have done Bikejoring for fun a handful of times in the trails in the woods surrounding my house. I did buy a bike rack to go to the park it as of yet has still not attached to my truck- lol!!! But to answer a part of your question your skills and endurance and training of your dog go hand in hand. Not one is more important then the other. Your a team. I would imagine you both have to be top shape to enter the competition if you are going to win. It is exhilorating. Not sure how long those competitions are. My male gsd I would think would be able to keep up with a husky he is in top shape. Im the one would need extra work in the endurance department. hope some posters on here that do Bikejoring can be more helpful.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer!I forgot to mention that the competition we may attend in March is 5km. As I said she is OK even with 10km and is supposed to get better because there is 1 and a half month in wich I will continue to take her with me. I think running on snow is more difficult for the dog too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

Best of luck a fit gsd in action is a sight to be seen.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

Where do you buy these bikejoring harnesses?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

I like Howling dog Alaska and alpine outfitters. There is also a noodle they sell that attaches to your lines so it doesn't get tangled up in your bike.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-23-2017 at 03:00 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

When you do it make sure you bring a friend to take pictures of the two of you so you can share them on here with us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page