MWD Blanket / Coat ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

MWD Blanket / Coat ?

I recently got these and I was wondering whether anyone could tell me anything about them?

The nicer of the two is stamped with "US" on either side of the blanket. Materials and hardware are consistent with Korean / Vietnam era equipment. Lining is a reprocessed wool type material.

Both have a "data plate" on the inside, which is made from leather and has gone rock hard. Can't make out much of the data plate but I believe the text at the top says "Ray Allen Mfg".

I plan on fixing both of them up (quartermaster-style repairs to stay true to the approximate time period) and using them in the MWD display I put together for living history / school talk type events. But I'd like to know a little more about what these are and such. So if anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it. (I emailed Ray Allen, too.)

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM

Re: MWD Blanket / Coat ?

That is a cold weather blanket they used way back when. I only know that because I handled a Sentry dog, way back when, ha ha. Neat object. If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you.

DFrost
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It sounds like my guess about these was right on, then, DFrost. Would it be safe to label these "Vietnam era"? I can't make out the actual dates on the data plates / labels on the inside.

There's two separate ones that I have. The nicer one at the top and the torn up one pictured at the bottom. I plan to repair them both and use them in the living history display about Military Working Dogs that I put together for events / reenactments / school talks. Definitely keeping them.

I'll post pictures of the repairs when I've made them. Not sure what I'm going to do for the one that has the big tear.

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Actually, they would even be pre Viet Nam era. We didn't need them there. ha ha. It was kind of hot and humid most of the time. I'd say more late Korean War.

DFrost
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, yes, obviously you didn't need them in Vietnam. I'm pretty sure there were working dogs in other places in that time period, too, though.

-
-

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 PM

Have you contacted the US War Dog guys? They would probably know best. Here's their link: http://www.uswardogs.org/

Very kewl!

Tina

Tina & the K9 Krew
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'm still waiting to hear back from Ray Allen. Being the manufacturer of these, as per the label, I would assume that they have information for how long these were made and approximately from when they date. I'll post updates if I get anything back from them.

And I'll post new pictures when I've got them repaired, too.

-
-

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Crowned Member

Cool! My mom is the keeper of all my grandpa's war stuff (her father in law). We don't have any war dog stuff though, and most of his stuff is Nazi/German.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:We don't have any war dog stuff though, and most of his stuff is Nazi/German.
Preserve that stuff well, especially paperwork, since it deteriorates over time. German items sell for big money, depending on the item / rarity.

-
-

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Elite Member

i`d give just about anything for one of those

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page