War Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 215Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

War Dogs

Just stumbled across this excellent 2017 New York Times article about the Vietnam war dogs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/op...etnam-war.html

Most people still don't know what happened to these heroic dogs when the US military withdrew from Vietnam. You can see the full story on youtube.com. It's not a new movie, but few people have seen it. I think everyone in this country should watch it. Just click on the link Watch this video on youtube in the video below when you try to play it and get the "Video unavailable" message.

It is one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever seen. America's betrayal of these magnificent dogs is unforgivable and should never be forgotten.

Last edited by JonRob; 09-07-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you. Itís a whole movie! Iím going to try to stream it on my TV rather than sitting over a tiny screen.
JonRob likes this.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Thank you. Itís a whole movie! Iím going to try to stream it on my TV rather than sitting over a tiny screen.
Thanks for your interest. Many people would rather not know.

I'll be very interested in hearing what you think. I think the movie is outstanding--very gripping and nothing like a boring documentary. Once you start watching, it's hard to stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Crowned Member

As Sherman said ...."war is ****"........

The video portrays a perspective which should get to the core of most all.....dog enthusiast or otherwise.

SuperG
JonRob likes this.

HŁndin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

So important all their stories are told and are always to be shared to promote a change.
War horse a breath taking play taking place in ww1 about a boy and his horse and tells the true fate of the horses of war.

It takes extraordinary people that help change and help continue to improve the fate of these four legged war heros after war.

https://coffeeordie.com/mission-k9-r...lALB6t-tJWU_mA

https://youtu.be/TbD1MP_DETc
JonRob likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-08-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

https://justice4tedds.com/robbyslaw/

Laws were passed almost 20 years ago to help keep anything like that from happening again.

Doc

post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:21 PM

This is a really touching video. I think it was shameful how the army treated these animals when they chose to leave them behind.

Things are much different now. If a handler gets wounded and returns home, so does the dog. If a handler is KIA, the dog returns home. If a dog gets wounded, they have the same priority as a soldier. They are often flown to Germany with the handler to receive the best veterinary care available. No U.S. Military dogs get left behind.

There are still some major issues in the military dog world, particularly with adoption after the dog is retired, but things are much better than they used to be.
Jax08, Aly, PghLoveGSD and 5 others like this.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Laws were passed almost 20 years ago to help keep anything like that from happening again.
The best way to ensure that something like this will happen again is to assume that it never will.

Laws change. Another unpopular war, more claims of foreign canine diseases coming back with war dogs to the US, and it will all happen again.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

That is why it is so important to never forget what happened to the Vietnam war dogs.

And watching the War Dogs video is a good way to honor these splendid dogs. Also, for people who don't fully realize how much these dogs are worth, the movie makes it totally clear.

Interesting that you are discouraging people from watching a movie that honors war dogs.

For folks who like to make up their own minds, you might want to check out the video. I guarantee you won't be bored. And you will come away with an understanding of war dogs far beyond what most people have.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
There are still some major issues in the military dog world, particularly with adoption after the dog is retired
And that is just disgraceful given the sacrifices made by these dogs and their handlers. There should be no issues at all.

Yet another reason for people to watch the video so they understand what war dogs are worth and why they and their handlers deserve so much better than they are getting even today.
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
https://justice4tedds.com/robbyslaw/

Are you familiar with Justice 4 TEDDs? They are a fantastic group working really hard at bringing people to justice for some less than stellar behavior. They also do everything possible to get retired dogs back to their handlers.

Fama was initially a TEDD dog. I was lucky enough to hear about her retirement on this forum and I had some friends here and in high places that enabled me to get her back. It isn't always so easy.

The producer of Black Fish is doing a documentary on the TEDD dogs.
Aly and cvamoca like this.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page