Adopted a MWD and am looking for insight on a few things - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Adopted a MWD and am looking for insight on a few things

I recently adopted a 4 year old MWD. She has her veterinary paperwork but nothing in that indicates her lineage or where ahe ultimately came from. My understanding from net searches is that they procure dogs of czech/dutch background from holland as well as from a breeding program within the states. Was wondering if something ne with direct knowledge can confirm that. The dog i have is a dark sable with red sable on the back of her head and has unique black toes which i havent seen in sables before. So it made me curious of her lineage.

Also i did not receive any training records so i was wondering what obedience training she might have had if any because it seems like i am teachibg her commands for the first time. Might be in a different language but ive tried german, czech, and dutch. At least my best pronunciation of them. My understanding is she was an explosive detection dog with one deployment before being retired to the Tx dps where she could not make the transition to narcotics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

My advice is don't worry about what het previous training may have been or what language. Just train her. It will help build a bond between you.

As far as her color, you could post a pic. But I have a pretty dark sable with red at my feet that is predominantly west german.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Can you at least find out the commands she knows, so you can Out her if something triggers a search or some other working behavior? Do you have this list?

https://www4.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/languag1.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

The only command i know she knows from a working stand point is “find it”. I was able to talk to the dps trainer who worked with her and that is the command they use to search for narcotics. The reason they failed her was that she would find the narcotic but would secondary commit to the signal.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62222815-49B4-4C72-9D8A-876BE79490A3_1526879574909.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	502186   Click image for larger version

Name:	750BB247-B874-4944-BA71-224EECFF1BB8_1526879645727.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	502194  
Attached Images

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 AM
Crowned Member

It used to be mandatory for all MWD to complete basic obedience before going to their specialty....that being said, narcotics and explosives work have less emphasis on ironclad obedience as they want the dog to work uninhibited in using their olfactory senses. The dog should know basic obedience in English.( But it’s possible if dog is import the BO was there and the military went into specialty from there.
Jax08 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Crowned Member

She is a beauty have fun with her they learn fast regardless what she knows or not!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Master Member

I agree! She is mad cute!

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah she is a great dog and vastly different from my last gsd. One other issue im having is locating her microchip company to have her switched to my info. Not knowing if she is a european import its been trouble to get the info updated. None of the American companies have her chip on file. Its also in a unique location high on her head rather than on the shoulders
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usnavydoc View Post
Yeah she is a great dog and vastly different from my last gsd. One other issue im having is locating her microchip company to have her switched to my info. Not knowing if she is a european import its been trouble to get the info updated. None of the American companies have her chip on file. Its also in a unique location high on her head rather than on the shoulders
I had similar confusion with my import GSD. From what I learned, you just need to have the chip scanned, get the chip serial number (from the scan) then register that s/n to you. I used Home Again, but I believe there are other companies that you can register with.

I was also told that the chips can sometimes move around in the body a bit. Beautiful dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page