Adopted a Military Working Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Adopted a Military Working Dog

Just thought I'd share that it was (relatively) a good experience in case anyone else is interested.

It was a little tough on us in that we originally assumed we'd adopt a nine year old who was retiring out of the military ie. they have $75,000 worth of training etc.

Instead we agreed to take a two year old who was fired for having "no work drive." My husband picked him up in Texas and we were stunned to find out that the dog has no training -- wasn't even potty trained.

But two months of manners class later and he's doing wonderfully.

Let me know if anyone is interested. The military's dogs come from Europe (which I assumed means Germany).

Alley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

Congratulations on adopting the dog, training him, and giving him a forever home where he can be a pet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Elite Member

Oh wow, congratulations! Even though it wasn't quite what you expected, I am glad this has a wonderful ending that is also a beginning. Keep us updated.

It is always a plan to eventually adopt a retired MWD that could fit into our lifestyle. It will not be any time soon, but definitely something I have thought about often.

I would love to hear about your experience, and how they match their dogs to interested candidates.

~ Rei

Janka vom Grunenfeld, BH (d.o.b. 10/12/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Oh wow, congratulations! Even though it wasn't quite what you expected, I am glad this has a wonderful ending that is also a beginning. Keep us updated.

It is always a plan to eventually adopt a retired MWD that could fit into our lifestyle. It will not be any time soon, but definitely something I have thought about often.

I would love to hear about your experience, and how they match their dogs to interested candidates.

~ Rei
They're very into matching the right people to the right dogs -- and aren't "first come, first served" at all. My guess is that people on this forum who have had a lot of experience w/ GSD would make a good match.

Thanks for the congrats -- I'm just thrilled we made it through manners class (of course he was the smartest dog there!).

Alley
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Glad you found a good match. Most military dogs come from Holland. They receive no obedience training until they pass testing for working abilities. If the dog has little prey drive, they wouldn't go further into training, such as obedience, detection or protection. They are kennel kept, so it makes sense he was not house broken.

He may have some previous training in Dutch or German. Some of the green dogs know basic commands in their native tongue.

Thanks for taking on this dog. They deserve a good home! Glad things are working out!

David Winners

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Master Member

CONGRATS Alley.

Whoever said you can't buy love musta never owned a dog !
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 AM
Elite Member

how much did it cost? Its alot for shipping from Germany.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 PM

You really have to be wary of what kind of working dog you buy. Some are not predictable at all.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
how much did it cost? Its alot for shipping from Germany.
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you -- I'm just learning how extensive these forums are.

There was no "buy" involved with a military working dog rescue. Basically a woman in Texas looks at your application and if you match a dog, she calls/emails you to see if you're still interested.

We put in an application in October '12 and never heard from her at all until May '13.

At that point it went relatively quickly, but neither she nor the military told us much of anything as we went along which was really frustrating.

Finally they gave us a green light on a two year old who had "no work drive." We homeschool and have two 10 year old boys so she must have figured we'd be good with this dog. We're home all day.

The cost involved was that my husband had to fly from our state to the Lacklund AFB in Texas -- which is where all military working dogs are trained/handled. So we had a hefty airfare in transporting my husband to TX and then he and the dog back to our state.

We also had to buy everything: airplane crate, collar, tag, water bowl, leash etc. ie. the military gave us nothing except a dog.

The rescue woman and the military guy seemed intent on placing our dog into the right home. They didn't at all seem like they were just passing dogs out. They want to make a good match.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Alley
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM

I can hear the MWD's barking right now. I work on Lackland and also have a MWD reject. My dog got kicked out for allergies. I do schutzhund with him now. He's quite the performer.

David Winners clearly knows what he's talking about. Most of the dogs are purchased from a vendor in Holland, and may very well understand basic commands in another language. My dog understand basic commands in Czech. He also may understand hand commands. I'd try Czech/Dutch commands and see if he responds Dog Commands

I'm surprised the dog doesn't have the drive for work, considering he had to pass an evaluation before the military bought him. Go buy a black kong and see how he reacts to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page