Adopted a Military Working Dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjdow View Post
I can hear the MWD's barking right now. I work on Lackland and also have a MWD reject. My dog got kicked out for allergies. I do schutzhund with him now. He's quite the performer.

David Winners clearly knows what he's talking about. Most of the dogs are purchased from a vendor in Holland, and may very well understand basic commands in another language. My dog understand basic commands in Czech. He also may understand hand commands. I'd try Czech/Dutch commands and see if he responds Dog Commands

I'm surprised the dog doesn't have the drive for work, considering he had to pass an evaluation before the military bought him. Go buy a black kong and see how he reacts to it.
Seriously, it is so good to hear from you. I haven't spoken to anybody about our GSD or the military situation we adopted him from.

I think his ball-drive is great. We play ball in the backyard twice a day and he takes off after the balls like a shot. I will say that he doesn't seem to sniff them out as easily as I'd expect. We have leaves all over our backyard now. We're in VA.

But, I agree with you, I wonder how they determined he had no drive. They kept emphasizing that he was pet material. He's on the couch right now dozing.

Question: my guy has allergies too. He scratches constantly. I put him on high quality food that has no chicken or chicken broth in it. The food is Merrick. The vet put him on 3X daily antihistamines and he's still scratching.

I have him and the cat on flea control. I don't know what else to do at this point.

I've put him in a Manners Class, but that's it. I was thinking agility next.

Any input is really appreciated. I didn't get a whole lot of feedback from the folks at the military.

Thanks!

Alley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
how much did it cost? Its alot for shipping from Germany.
Cost-wise it was entirely "free" to adopt a dog from the military. . . unless you count that we paid a very last-minute airfare to fly my husband to Texas to pick up the GSD, then purchase a travel crate, then fly the GSD home to VA.

So, not free at all. Very costly. My husband wanted a pure bred shepherd (we'd always rescued mixed dogs) and I wanted to adopt -- so we figured this was a great compromise.

The only thing is wish is that the military had had more time to fill us in on our dog: his background, where he'd been, what he knew etc. All we were told was his sex, his age, that he was "not aggressive at all," and that he'd never been in a house.

That was it. Nothing more. But I'm just happy that they're working to find homes for these wonderful dogs.

Our dog is a house dog now and gets two long walks a day -- morning and night and two ball times in the yard a day. Plus I'm home all day homeschooling my kids so our dog gets people around him all day too.

He gets a little travel too. Just last weekend we took him with us to Mount Vernon -- George Washington's home -- and he was allowed to walk around with my husband when the rest of went into the home and museum. He's stayed in a couple of DC hotels at this point and is, in general, pretty spoiled.

Alley
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 04:05 PM

The military will give civilians the politically correct answer...and rightfully so. They're not going to tell you the dog wouldn't out on bite sleeve, had a poor bite, etc. Your dog may have washed out for a number of reasons. The dog has 120 days to make it through the training...regardless of the circumstances. A lot of dogs are washed out for the complete opposite reason....too much drive. Like any other career field, there are handlers who have yet to gain the experience to get some of the higher drive dogs successfully through the program, thus the dog is washed out. The dog may have needed more time to mature as well. Low drive may actually be the case, but I'm willing to bet if your dog sees a guy with bite sleeve/suit and hears a few cracks of the whip you will see a side of your dog that you haven't seen before. (please don't associate this with an aggression, it's a game for them). My dog is a couch potato at home, but has busted out of crates and jumped over 7ft kennel fences on the Schutzhund field.

What's the tattoo read in your dog's left ear?

Sounds like your dog has allergies as well, this is not uncommon for GSD's....and especially GSD's who spent the first year of their life on the other side of the world. I tried a raw diet, prescription diet, and a number of different kibble brands. My dogs allergies are environmental, and it's something that I have to deal with....regular baths, ointments, etc. I feed my dog the same food you're feeding yours, Merrick (duck and potato). The best thing you could do to cut down on your dog's scratching is to wear him out. Use a flirt pole. Go buy a lunge whip from a feed supply store and attach a tug to the other end of it. Only problem you may have is getting the dog to out...teaching this will likely take someone more experienced with working dogs than your typical petsmart trainers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Just giving an update on 3-23-14.

We've had our GSD from the military for almost 10 months now. He seems to have really settled in and isn't as polite as when he first arrived.

I have him in his second manners class now and he wants to play w/ the other dogs more than practice his new skills.

One night my husband had put on his big down black jacket. In the dark it must have looked like a bite sleeve, because our dog started bounding back and forth, but my husband basically "no" or "gentle" (a word he really understands) and he stopped bounding around.

A our training class one night he was being especially barky and the trainer gave him a black kong w/ peanut butter to get him to be quiet while she was talking. Initially I was worried that the black kong would cause a problem, but it didn't. He just licked the the peanut butter.

We're leaving him overnight this week at a kennel that I researched. He gets to play w/ other dogs, but I'm nervous about leaving him. It's so sad to me to think that he might get worried about being left. Sometimes he seems to love his daycare/kennel and other times he can't get out of there fast enough. So I don't know what to think.

That's the update!

Alley
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 PM

David - We have been contacted by FT Bragg regarding adopting Fama. I believe you were wanting to adopt her at one point. Is this still the case?
I'd love to talk with you about her.
Thank you, Amy Bashaw
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
You really have to be wary of what kind of working dog you buy. Some are not predictable at all.

"Ginger, no!" - YouTube
LOL I knew it! But...did not see that coming!
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

Amy,
Thanks for the update. I wondered how he was doing. Great he has settled in and relaxing. I won't worry about the overnight stay as he is used to the being left at doggy daycare during the day, so he knows you will come back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBashaw View Post
David - We have been contacted by FT Bragg regarding adopting Fama. I believe you were wanting to adopt her at one point. Is this still the case?
I'd love to talk with you about her.
Thank you, Amy Bashaw
You are a godsend

Yes, I would love nothing more than to be reunited with my girl!

They were supposed to contact me if she came up for adoption. That's the army for you.

I'll pm you right away.

Thank you thank you thank you!

David Winners

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
You really have to be wary of what kind of working dog you buy. Some are not predictable at all.

"Ginger, no!" - YouTube
I have never laughed so hard from something on this forum

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
You are a godsend

Yes, I would love nothing more than to be reunited with my girl!

They were supposed to contact me if she came up for adoption. That's the army for you.

I'll pm you right away.

Thank you thank you thank you!

David Winners

This is one happy post! very very happy for you, and the lady who adopted the dog

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page