60 minutes - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

@ expo44.....sure I see examples of dogs like there was back in the day, there are still breeders breeding these dogs and many of them are American breeders, some of the DDR dogs, lot of the Czech dogs, and a some of the sport dogs. They are still out there, but not as show or sport winners. Sweden has a national culture of a lot of dogs like the ones in times past.....little hint, do some research on some of the criteria the Swedes use for breeding. It is multi-faceted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 PM

Interesting thread

I have a few questions, if they don't mind for those involved in training/selecting dogs for LE work.

Has the demand for dual purpose police dogs a bigger cause for the reduced use of german shepherds than the fact breeders aren't doing a very good job ? If the military/LE were after single purpose (patrol) dogs would gsds still have their poorer reputation, or are there still too many nerve issues there ?

If the above is true it just seems a little unfair to blame breeders in general (trust me I know there is a god awful **** of a lot of them) if the demands of LE/Police have changed compared to when gs were in their peak ? With scent work and the necessary ball/hunt drive now more heavily required, the prevalenence of these traits are said to be more common in mals/dutchies than gsds ?

quote ladylaw

Quote:
The fact is that for dual purpose dogs it is easier to find the ball drive we need in mals and dutchies along with the temperament for patrol work. They are cheaper and plentiful overseas. Germans have done away with DPO/WPO and sport is watered down. Those who breed for KNPV are producing what we need in general.

How would breeders compete with that, without compromising nerves/reducing the gene pool to only dual purpose type ? There has been a lot of threads in this forum and discussions on gsd-euro about the change in schutzhund and training techniques, and consequently the bloodlines and dogs which are now successful compared to the past when the requirements were different. How the demand now is for more ball-orientated, super high prey drive- excluding other bloodlines that may have greater nerve but may not bounce off the wall for a toy. Does it just come down to gs not being originally genetically intended for producing huge amount of scent/hunt drive dogs compared to other breeds ? so again are breeders that much to blame as changing requirements ?

Hoping those involved in this sort of work can correct me where I'm wrong. German shepherds are still a popular choice where I come from for PSD work, and my choice for myself to train.

Kind regards,

Katie.

Abby

Australia
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page