60 minutes - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Unfortunately, the segment on the elite protection dogs clearly indicated that the Belgian Malinois is found to be superior these days by the military. Many of us that work in LE are aware of this being the trend for quite some time. The legacy of the GS and the reality of today's breed are very much different for the most part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM

I was speaking with a helper this weekend. He has mals. He feels that they too will be weakened now that they are on all the tv shows.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

It was a good show.

My worry is that the Malinois will become what the Doberman was in the 70's, the Rottweiler was in the 80's, and the Pit Bull is today... a breed that is sought after by bad people for the wrong reasons, and bred indiscriminately by byb's to make a buck... I foresee lots of poorly-bred, unstable Mals running the streets, ending up in shelters, biting people, and getting a bad name.

I dearly hope that this does not happen. It's really up to the breeders to be extremely careful who they sell to, and it's up to all dog-savvy people to educate the general public about this breed. They are a fantastic working dog and belong in the hands of knowledgable, responsible people who have a job for them. I would hate to see this breed get ruined!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
It was a good show.

My worry is that the Malinois will become what the Doberman was in the 70's, the Rottweiler was in the 80's, and the Pit Bull is today... a breed that is sought after by bad people for the wrong reasons, and bred indiscriminately by byb's to make a buck... I foresee lots of poorly-bred, unstable Mals running the streets, ending up in shelters, biting people, and getting a bad name.

I dearly hope that this does not happen. It's really up to the breeders to be extremely careful who they sell to, and it's up to all dog-savvy people to educate the general public about this breed. They are a fantastic working dog and belong in the hands of knowledgable, responsible people who have a job for them. I would hate to see this breed get ruined!

Unfortunately it's already happening. After the seal team stuff and pits getting harder to rescue and breed regulation and all. In some bad neighborhoods in LA you're already seeing GSD's and such. Pits are fading out. You know they are not coming from stable dogs either.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Banned

I personally think that Mals are being used more because of their size and less because its getting harder to find good GSDs. If the military wanted, they could breed GSD and make them exactly what they want. A mal is smaller, easier to carry, cheaper to maintain (less food), and yes, quite driven. But I've also seen Mals that are less driven than my boy and after speaking with the owner was surprised to find out that there is also a show/working division in that breed.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I personally think that Mals are being used more because of their size and less because its getting harder to find good GSDs.

This^ Plus I'm still seeing a lot of GSD's in both LE and military.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I personally think that Mals are being used more because of their size and less because its getting harder to find good GSDs. If the military wanted, they could breed GSD and make them exactly what they want. A mal is smaller, easier to carry, cheaper to maintain (less food), and yes, quite driven. But I've also seen Mals that are less driven than my boy and after speaking with the owner was surprised to find out that there is also a show/working division in that breed.
I've seen some SL's and they are a bit on the nervy side, won't leave their handlers side or get very anxious when they have to do something independently.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
This^ Plus I'm still seeing a lot of GSD's in both LE and military.
True there still are a lot of GSDs, a local police department just got two new LE dogs and they were both GSD. They didn't even consider Mals (our club donated towards the purchase price).

I'd guess that being a smaller dog there are just a lot less issues...less hip problems, dog is full size much faster so it can be used much faster (I know GSDs grow fast but not nearly as fast as Mals to get to their adult weight), I bet they have longer life spans and therefor can work for more years. Financially speaking its probably a better decision. I think many police departments will take time switching because many of their trainers are so used to working with GSDs that they probably will not want to relearn how to deal with Mals and the intricacies of training that breed.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

Any one who has spent time in a military vehicle or military air can tell you that smaller is better. That being said, 99% of the military dogs I came across where all GSD's.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I believe what the man on sixty minutes said, I believe what I see today and that is the third most popular breed in world can no longer consistently supply LE/military with good dogs. Size has very little to do with why these agencies don't use GS as much as Mali's. it's the ability to work under stress and health issues. Ask anyone that trained military or police dogs why the Mali is becoming used so much. Why is German police and military using Malinois....surely it is not because they don't have available German Shepherds in Germany. For some it is hard to acknowledge what the breed has become, but for people like police/military, they don't deal in wishes and fishes, they want the best working animal they can get .....simple as that. I know one of the breeding kennels that provides the military many of their dogs, Mike Suttle of Loganhaus kennels. He breeds GS and Malinois for military uses. He KNOWS why the military has relied more on Malis than GS these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page