Glory Hounds - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Crowned Member

This was a real eye opener as to what they really go through over there. I am glad this was on here, or I would have never seen it. Thanks for posting this.

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Knighted Member

This might be good to watch with my kids. I've been holding Saving Private Ryan for my oldest--she's now 17 and I think every high school kid should watch it. Then they might have a new perspective on what's *really* important and worth engaging in drama about.

This show maybe all of us could watch now, though.

~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
It was hard to tell on television, but I wonder if the grenade was closer to Zora than the handler, and she was already in the kill radius. If that was the case then he may have tried to get him closer to him, which would have been his only option? Just wondering.
That's what I was thinking. At first it seemed like the grenade landed smack in between them, and he called the dog INTO the grenade... but what else could he have done? He could have run the other way and NOT called the dog, and hoped that she would not follow. He could have run toward her and directly into the kill zone. It seemed to me he was just trying to get her away from the grenade in the only way he knew how. Really tragic.

Good program. Definitely a tear-jerker.

I was wondering why one of the dogs had a docked tail? I have seen this in military working dogs before, and always wondered why. Main thing I can think of is if the dog is a chronic and enthusiastic tail-wagger, it could bang into things and create noise and movement that would alert the enemy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
That's what I was thinking. At first it seemed like the grenade landed smack in between them, and he called the dog INTO the grenade... but what else could he have done? He could have run the other way and NOT called the dog, and hoped that she would not follow. He could have run toward her and directly into the kill zone. It seemed to me he was just trying to get her away from the grenade in the only way he knew how. Really tragic.

Good program. Definitely a tear-jerker.

I was wondering why one of the dogs had a docked tail? I have seen this in military working dogs before, and always wondered why. Main thing I can think of is if the dog is a chronic and enthusiastic tail-wagger, it could bang into things and create noise and movement that would alert the enemy.
Some also lose it from injuries. Since they don't care about looks, just ability to work and comfort for the dog..... once it's injured, most likely it's coming off. My brother had one that he called to help a few times that had no tail. He said the handler told him that it happened during a mission. Tail was broken badly and it was best for the dog if they took it off. My brother said it didn't stop her one bit... she was one of the best over there.

I've seen police K9s here like that too, for the same reason.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 AM

I just watched this last night on DVR and I was doing well till they put the American flag on Zora. I just lost it. My wife said, I don't want to watch that and I said just because you don't watch it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have so much respect for our brave men, women, and dogs that fight for our freedom. God Bless them all.....
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd3077 View Post
I just watched this last night on DVR and I was doing well till they put the American flag on Zora. I just lost it. My wife said, I don't want to watch that and I said just because you don't watch it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have so much respect for our brave men, women, and dogs that fight for our freedom. God Bless them all.....

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page