my dog passed away on friday aug 29 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

my dog passed away on friday aug 29

I am mourning the loss of my dog I need to know if anyone knows how to cope, I can't sleep can't eat and can't stop crying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Crowned Member

Re: my dog passed away on friday aug 29

I had to put my Vishnu down on the 21st. I pretty much did nothing but cry the night before, on the way over, drive home, days later. I learned after losing Gaudi at a young age and unexpectedly to keep myself busy. I'm ok as long as I don't talk about him now. It's been a little over a week, but I'm staying busy. Giving extra to Duchess who was his buddy. I called my mother today and told her and started crying like a baby all over again, so if I don't talk I'm good. Otherwise, it's hard.

It was really hard with Gaudi since hers was sudden. Vishnu I knew was coming, knew I had to do it, and knew every minute would completely s*ck. But I also knew it was in his best interest. He was tired, very tired.

Ok, gotta stop now, water works are coming. If you need to pm me, feel free. We can commiserate. Sorry for your loss.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my Rascal very suddenly on May 1 and still feel the pain. Just remember the good times and that your pup knew he was loved and give yourself the time to mourn. It helps to talk about the loss and shed the tears to release your sorrow. I needed to talk about him to realize that he was in suffering and in pain and needed to be let go.

You are in my thoughts, rest in peace dear pup (for no matter how old they are to me they are always my pup)

SAM123
Roxie Female GSD 7/1/06
Falken Male GSD 4/19/08

Rascal RIP 8/1/02 - 5/1/08 gone but never forgotten

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Jerri-Lee was 12 and very sick with alot of tumors and really bad arthritis. I had an appt for saturday and before I could take her, her shoulder and arm swelled up pretty bad. My vet told me to bring her right in and said one of her tumors was had grown and was blocking an artery in her shoulder,he thought it was time. I can't accept the fact that it was my decision yet, and the guilt is numbing. I miss her so much, my heart is broken.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Crowned Member

i am so sorry. the only thing you can do is allow yourself to have the feelings you have and wait. you cannot stuff your feelings of grief down or ignore them. the larger the love the larger the grief. there are also therapists who deal specifically with the loss of our beloved pets. sometimes it helps to talk about your feelings, and a good therapist can move you through the grief stages more quickly than you can do it yourself sometimes. if that is not an option for you, there are also many compassionate people here, who have gone through similar losses, who will share their coping strategies with you. it seems to help alot of people to write what happened and a tribute to their dog's memory here. my husband and i feel that when we lose one it, "gives us the opportunity to know another", and perhaps when the loss is not quite so fresh, you can honor your dog's memory by saving the life of another, there are many in need. so much of this depends upon your personal situation and circumstances. take care, many blessings to you.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Crowned Member

ps...no guilt. despite the difficulty of your decision it sounds as though it was the right one. twelve years is long in the life of a german shepherd dog.

bless your soul dear girl, jerri-lee. rest in peace.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Gonna try to rest now. Thanks to everyone. Will talk again soon.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Knighted Member

I lost my 13-year old Wooly Bear (husky) suddenly last January. I still cry - almost every day. Sometimes I think I see him cha-cha-ing around the house. It does get a little easier with each passing day, but no one - not even my Lady Jane, can fill the void in my heart that Wooly left.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts. It will get easier, but I know that at the moment it hurts more than anything. I was the same when my boy passed, I couldn't eat and I couldn't sleep and I made myself ill. My doctor recommended that I was sedated for a while. I know it seems a bit extreme, but it helped me relax for a bit at least.

I tried to distract myself most of the time really and had a really good cry which I feel was much better than keeping it all bottled up. Talking about it can help too! I also liked the idea of doing something to honor his memory, so I got started on making a photo album for him and I planted a tree in his memory too.

You're in my thoughts

Kimberley, Mama to:

Cherry (Tristorm Cola). Born 24th December 2006!

Visit Cherry at Dogster!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logan (Pinchmill Carmichael). 3rd May 1997 - 25th January 2007
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 AM

imho, the loss of a pet, esp a dog is a lot like the loss of a human family member; our dogs are loved and very much family members; adjustment to death, including the decision to euthanize is a process involving anger, denial, disbelif, bargaining and finally acceptance; there is no easy way to go through it and each of us goes through this process in our own time; there is both progress and regression but in the end, we all come to accept the loss and its finality...albeit grudgingly

grieve, that's the best advice i can give; cry til there are no more tears; look back at photos and remember; feel the loss b/c it is a loss and a very significant one; time and the process will heal and you will move on;

i can remember every single dog i've had since my first one when i was 5 yo; i can name them and visualize each and every one; i celebrate their lives w/my memories and never forgot one; and i truly believe that they are always w/ us; every time i take in a new dog, i see something from another dog...a look, a stance, a behavior; and i remember that dog who's awaiting me at the bridge, in heaven, wherever your beliefs lie

please accept my condolences and well wishes

ellen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page