Goodbye to Heidi - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Goodbye to Heidi

We don't seem to get much over 13, but I shouldn't complain. She had a good long life, and I put her down when she could still walk, still loved to eat, still knew and loved me. But, she couldn't get up yesterday and was dragging that back end. Today she was walking but I could see how much pain she was in. I had to make the decision, and I went with her two hours ago.

It was awful. It always is. They sedated her and she went peaceably. But I always feel like they trust me and I let them down. I never think that they trust me not to let them suffer unnecessarily.

Heidi was fun and beautiful and easy to train and easy to care for, and I just couldn't turn the clock back. She never had any babies for me, though I bred her to some great dogs. But that's ok. She was still worth a million bucks. She gave me ribbons and made me walk on air, gave me a huge head.

Once I watched a video of her going through a rally course with me, and she hadn't been off the property or trained in 3 years. She looked so polished with that staring in my eyes-type heel that I hate so much. She looked like someone other than me put tons of work into her.

I don't know if this will work or not, but I will try to post a picture. Run free my baby Heidi. Babsy's ashes will go with you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015April24 009.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	525471  
readaboutdogs, Aly and atomic like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Crowned Member

What a beautiful lady. It's never easy. It shouldn't be.
She was loved.
Run free Heidi.
selzer likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:56 PM

How beautiful she was! What a lovely tribute. When it's the right time, you know it. I'm really sorry.
selzer, Hellish and saintbob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:06 PM
Crowned Member

What a pretty girl! Run free little one! 13 years is a long time for these dogs. I guess it is the best we can hope for. So sorry for your loss Sue. You've been hit really hard the last few months. It must be very hard on you.
selzer likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:15 PM
Crowned Member

I am so very sorry. My best to you at this time. I can see that look from her in the pic, that look that says "I will live for ever for you"...and she will
RIP beautiful Heidi
selzer likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Master Member

She was beautiful....13 years is never ever enough...it's a cliche I guess but even when I know we've done the right thing for the dog....it's like the song lyric...."one more day"......RIP girl..
selzer likes this.

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Knighted Member

Oh Sue, what a beautiful face. She loved and trusted you to do the right thing for her, just like you did her whole life. She looks like she and my Tessa could be sisters. Peace be with you on this difficult night and following days. I know it's been a rough rough year. It wouldn't hurt if you didn't care so much.
selzer likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:40 PM

I am so sorry for your loss of your beautiful girl Heidi. You did the right thing for her though it's never easy. We had to do the same for 3 of our babies since January of 2018. It really does stink. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
selzer likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:40 PM
Banned

I’m so sorry Sue, no matter how many you lose, it never gets easier. Thoughts and prayers sent to you and yours!
selzer likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:42 PM

Oh Sue. Iím so sorry. We never have them long enough.
selzer likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page