German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   In Loving Memory (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/loving-memory/)
-   -   Goodbye to Heidi (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/loving-memory/757843-goodbye-heidi.html)

selzer 09-20-2019 07:22 PM

Goodbye to Heidi

1 Attachment(s)
We don't seem to get much over 13, but I shouldn't complain. She had a good long life, and I put her down when she could still walk, still loved to eat, still knew and loved me. But, she couldn't get up yesterday and was dragging that back end. Today she was walking but I could see how much pain she was in. I had to make the decision, and I went with her two hours ago.

It was awful. It always is. They sedated her and she went peaceably. But I always feel like they trust me and I let them down. I never think that they trust me not to let them suffer unnecessarily.

Heidi was fun and beautiful and easy to train and easy to care for, and I just couldn't turn the clock back. She never had any babies for me, though I bred her to some great dogs. But that's ok. She was still worth a million bucks. She gave me ribbons and made me walk on air, gave me a huge head.

Once I watched a video of her going through a rally course with me, and she hadn't been off the property or trained in 3 years. She looked so polished with that staring in my eyes-type heel that I hate so much. She looked like someone other than me put tons of work into her.

I don't know if this will work or not, but I will try to post a picture. Run free my baby Heidi. Babsy's ashes will go with you.

Sabis mom 09-20-2019 07:40 PM

What a beautiful lady. It's never easy. It shouldn't be.
She was loved.
Run free Heidi.

cvamoca 09-20-2019 07:56 PM

How beautiful she was! What a lovely tribute. When it's the right time, you know it. I'm really sorry.

MineAreWorkingline 09-20-2019 08:06 PM

What a pretty girl! Run free little one! 13 years is a long time for these dogs. I guess it is the best we can hope for. So sorry for your loss Sue. You've been hit really hard the last few months. It must be very hard on you.

GatorBytes 09-20-2019 09:15 PM

I am so very sorry. My best to you at this time. I can see that look from her in the pic, that look that says "I will live for ever for you"...and she will
RIP beautiful Heidi

Shane'sDad 09-20-2019 09:51 PM

She was beautiful....13 years is never ever enough...it's a cliche I guess but even when I know we've done the right thing for the dog....it's like the song lyric...."one more day"......RIP girl..

ksotto333 09-20-2019 10:38 PM

Oh Sue, what a beautiful face. She loved and trusted you to do the right thing for her, just like you did her whole life. She looks like she and my Tessa could be sisters. Peace be with you on this difficult night and following days. I know it's been a rough rough year. It wouldn't hurt if you didn't care so much.

crittersitter 09-20-2019 10:40 PM

I am so sorry for your loss of your beautiful girl Heidi. You did the right thing for her though it's never easy. We had to do the same for 3 of our babies since January of 2018. It really does stink. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jchrest 09-20-2019 10:40 PM

I’m so sorry Sue, no matter how many you lose, it never gets easier. Thoughts and prayers sent to you and yours!

dogfaeries 09-20-2019 10:42 PM

Oh Sue. I’m so sorry. We never have them long enough.